+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which visa for 19 years old dependent accompanying student parent?

EveTN

Dec 4, 2020
Hi everyone,

My husband applied for a study permit along with my OWP and study permit for 2 minors children.
We also have a dependent child whose 19 and doesn't need a study permit as she's already following an online course in the Uk. She also applied for an OWP and they are now requesting an LMIA for her :oops:.
Confused as to why a child following her parents would need one and I can't seem to find anything about this type of situation.

Did we apply for the wrong permit/visa?

I mean, she can't be a visitor for the 2 years that my husband will study?
What should we do now as we don't have an LMIA and IRCC London office is waiting for her to supply this document?

I was about to send an LOE explaining our situation and confusion.

Anyone have any sources or answers for me? Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone,

My husband applied for a study permit along with my OWP and study permit for 2 minors children.
We also have a dependent child whose 19 and doesn't need a study permit as she's already following an online course in the Uk. She also applied for an OWP and they are now requesting an LMIA for her :oops:.
Confused as to why a child following her parents would need one and I can't seem to find anything about this type of situation.

What should we do now as we don't have an LMIA and IRCC London office is waiting for her to supply this document?

Yes, you applied for the wrong visa.

Your 19 years old child does not qualify for an OWP and is not entitled to work in Canada.

The right visa is a TRV.

You need to withdraw the OWP and apply for a TRV. An LOE is pointless since she doesn't qualify for an OWP and the application is going to be refused.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

She doesn't qualify for an OWP so you'll need to with withdraw the application. You'll need to apply for an ETA or TRV and special authorization for her to travel due to travel restrictions. As an adult she isn't guaranteed that she can accompany you. Don't believe she will qualify for provincial health coverage if she gets approved.

EveTN

Dec 4, 2020
Yes, you applied for the wrong visa.

Your 19 years old child does not qualify for an OWP and is not entitled to work in Canada.

The right visa is a TRV.

You need to withdraw the OWP and apply for a TRV. An LOE is pointless since she doesn't qualify for an OWP and the application is going to be refused.
Thank you for your reply. I will do that.

EveTN

Dec 4, 2020
She doesn't qualify for an OWP so you'll need to with withdraw the application. You'll need to apply for an ETA or TRV and special authorization for her to travel due to travel restrictions. As an adult she isn't guaranteed that she can accompany you. Don't believe she will qualify for provincial health coverage if she gets approved.
Thanks for your reply. I'll apply for a TRV and see how it goes.

EveTN

Dec 4, 2020
Thanks for your reply. I'll apply for a TRV and see how it goes.
Is she from a visa exempt country?
yes we are french citizen.

she is a child tho as described on IRCC's website so i am confused:
Who you can include as a dependent child on an immigration application
If you want to apply to come to Canada as a permanent immigrant, or to work, study or visit, you may be able to include dependent children on your application.

Children qualify as dependants if they

are under 22 years old and
don’t have a spouse or partner

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

If you want to apply to come to Canada as a permanent immigrant, or to work, study or visit, you may be able to include dependent children on your application.

You don't need TRVs then. ETA is fine but she needs special authorization to travel to Canada. Rules for PR applications don't necessarily apply to other visas/permits. Would add that your daughter's situation is fairly unusual. She isn't even applying to come study in Canada she is wanting to come as a visitor while completing her online studies from the UK.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

As said above, in that case she needs an eTA rather than a TRV to come to Canada.

Reactions: EveTN

EveTN

Dec 4, 2020
You don't need TRVs then. ETA is fine but she needs special authorization to travel to Canada. Rules for PR applications don't necessarily apply to other visas/permits. Would add that your daughter's situation is fairly unusual. She isn't even applying to come study in Canada she is wanting to come as a visitor while completing her online studies from the UK.
Yes her case is unusual. She's doing online university already so we really didn't need her to apply for a study permit.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes her case is unusual. She's doing online university already so we really didn't need her to apply for a study permit.
What I meant was that it would be unusual for a 19 year old to come to Canada with their family unless they are studying at a Canadian college/university.