+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which TGA areas should I consider for permanent housing

Foxdie

Aug 30, 2017
Hello Fellows,

We will be moving to Canada soon and we have decided to move to TGA as of now due to my current employment and possible work opportunities in Canada. I should be able to keep my US job as of now but I am not sure if my company will let me work remotely forever so would not like to live at a place which is super expensive.
- Right now my budget is in the ballpark of $1500 CAD bucks (more or less).
- I would like to rent preferably a 2 bedroom
- I work remotely so I do not really have to live in heart of Toronto and if I get a job in the city I can always take public transport or drive. Would like a place which is almost 30 minutes travel from the city.
- Safe neighbourhood with decent school district is very important

I would really appreciate advice about which areas/towns/neighbourhoods should I consider while looking for housing. Frankly, I have looked up online and there are so many listings in TGA that it is now more confusing. That's why I would like to know which areas are good so that I can narrow down my search.

Really appreciate the help in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm not sure what TGA is. Do you mean GTA (Greater Toronto Area) by any chance?

StevieFray

Jan 26, 2015
Nomination.....
17-07-2017
Passport Req..
15-01-2018
I'm not sure what TGA is. Do you mean GTA (Greater Toronto Area) by any chance?
Lol no offense at your statement. Yes he means GTA. I'm also looking in that ball park with same requirements. Help ma out:D

Reactions: Shegotmail

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Honestly your budget will likely limit your options. You have to figure out whether you want to have decent access to subway or transit in Toronto in general. You have to figure out whether you need to be near a school,religious institution, cultural centre,etc . Do you want to live in the suburbs? Do you plan on having a car? You have to give people more information the GTA is too big to just ask where you should live based on a budget.

Foxdie

Aug 30, 2017
Honestly your budget will likely limit your options. You have to figure out whether you want to have decent access to subway or transit in Toronto in general. You have to figure out whether you need to be near a school,religious institution, cultural centre,etc . Do you want to live in the suburbs? Do you plan on having a car? You have to give people more information the GTA is too big to just ask where you should live based on a budget.
My friend, I believe I already mentioned all these details in my post at the top.

shibdutta

Star Member
Jul 30, 2015
Hey,
i would personally prefer Milton area. You can join this wahtsApp group (https://chat.whatsapp.com/AcUlzAz0ajOHTY3DZpPJ6Z), may be you will get better answers there.
or you can talk to a realtor, tell him your requirements and he will be able to help you in the search. i found my realtor very helpful when we did our search.

Regards
Shiv

anujoshi

Star Member
Apr 18, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Realistically, here is what you should budget for rental accommodation (coming from a Realtor) based on recently rented apartments in GTA...

For condo apartments (not basements)
  • Bachelor in downtown Toronto $1800/month plus utilities
  • 1 bedroom in downtown Toronto $2000+
  • 2 bedroom in downtown Toronto $2700+
  • Bachelor in Mississauga $1600+
  • 1 bedroom in Mississauga $1800+
  • 2 bedroom in Mississauga $2200+
  • 2 bedroom in Brampton $1600+
For basement rentals (varies SIGNIFICANTLY based on accommodation level)
  • Anywhere from $800 to $1600+ based on what is being offered
(PS, I understood what you meant by GTA :D don't worry, you'll get the local lingo soon)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Realistically, here is what you should budget for rental accommodation (coming from a Realtor) based on recently rented apartments in GTA...

(PS, I understood what you meant by GTA :D don't worry, you'll get the local lingo soon)
These seem like condo prices. The prices are a bit lower for apartments that are not condos.

qureishi

Dec 9, 2011

Is it not overpriced in Mississauga ?

or may be you are putting average prices ??

anujoshi

Star Member
Apr 18, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
These seem like condo prices. The prices are a bit lower for apartments that are not condos.
Yes, these are for condo rentals. Prices may be a bit lower for apartments, but vacancy rates are low in those buildings. It's a matter of finding what fits your needs at the time you are looking for a rental.

anujoshi

Star Member
Apr 18, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is it not overpriced in Mississauga ?

or may be you are putting average prices ??
Yes, they are average prices but quite accurate. In Mississauga my client rented out his 2 bed/2 bath suite in downtown Mississauga condo building for $2200 plus utilities at the end of 2016. Prices have steadily increased since then for rentals - it's a bit crazy, I know! But of course you can find cheaper and more expensive options than the average estimates given here.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Yes, they are average prices but quite accurate. In Mississauga my client rented out his 2 bed/2 bath suite in downtown Mississauga condo building for $2200 plus utilities at the end of 2016. Prices have steadily increased since then for rentals - it's a bit crazy, I know! But of course you can find cheaper and more expensive options than the average estimates given here.
Hello Anu,

Thanks for sharing. Do you have similar stats for North York?