+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which provinces am I allowed to work in?

SamuraiJack

Jan 26, 2019
Hello,

I'm a PR applicant yet to receive PR confirmation (currently progressed to the biometric stage). I'm beginning my job hunt and would like to understand the provinces I'm authorized to work in.

I'm not sure if I e-filed under a PNP application for a specific province or a general PR that lets me work everywhere in Canada. My understanding is that I have applied for a PR under the Federal Skilled Worker program but would like to confirm it if possible. (It's been many months since I filed the initial application. I do vaguely remember answering some PNP questions.)

My acknowledgement of receipt says "This letter confirms that your application for permanent residence in Canada was received..".

Is there a way to know if my PR application applies only to a subset of the provinces? Is it right to assume I have applied for a FSW PR under express entry and that it is not related to PNP?

Clearly I'm way out of my depth here. Any help would be appreciated.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Once you're a PR, you have the right to live and work anywhere in Canada.

PNP programs cannot stop you leaving the province. Freedom of movement within Canada overrides any PNP program.

SamuraiJack

Jan 26, 2019
This is helpful, thanks. What about the other part of my question - How do I check whether my application is PNP based or just FSW PR?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
This is helpful, thanks. What about the other part of my question - How do I check whether my application is PNP based or just FSW PR?
You are almost certainly not in a PNP program. You'd remember that because either they would invite you, or you would have to specifically apply to a PNP program.

Other than that, I don't know how you can check.. don't you have copies of the invitation to apply? If a province invited you, you would have received a letter from them in your account.

Reactions: SamuraiJack

skape7

Apr 24, 2017
You are almost certainly not in a PNP program. You'd remember that because either they would invite you, or you would have to specifically apply to a PNP program.

Other than that, I don't know how you can check.. don't you have copies of the invitation to apply? If a province invited you, you would have received a letter from them in your account.
Your ITA should mention the stream you were invited under (FSW, CEC or PNP). That’s a sure shot way to be certain.
Also, what was your CRS score? Was it over 600?
All Provincial Nomination programs issue invitations after which you submit your documents and pay their application fees. Once that is done you receive your nomination in your Express Entry Account - which you need to accept to receive 600 points.
If you don’t remember doing any of this, then as @21Goose mentioned, you are unlikely to be a Provincial nominee.

Reactions: SamuraiJack

skape7

Apr 24, 2017
Hello,

I'm a PR applicant yet to receive PR confirmation (currently progressed to the biometric stage). I'm beginning my job hunt and would like to understand the provinces I'm authorized to work in.

I'm not sure if I e-filed under a PNP application for a specific province or a general PR that lets me work everywhere in Canada. My understanding is that I have applied for a PR under the Federal Skilled Worker program but would like to confirm it if possible. (It's been many months since I filed the initial application. I do vaguely remember answering some PNP questions.)

My acknowledgement of receipt says "This letter confirms that your application for permanent residence in Canada was received..".

Is there a way to know if my PR application applies only to a subset of the provinces? Is it right to assume I have applied for a FSW PR under express entry and that it is not related to PNP?

Clearly I'm way out of my depth here. Any help would be appreciated.
While you do have the freedom to move to any part of Canada as a PR, if you are a Provincial Nominee - it could pose a problem for you when you apply for citizenship after a minimum of 3 years of residency.
I have read posts where candidates have been asked to submit evidence that they tried their very best to settle in the province that nominated them before they moved out. This included all the job positions they applied for, places they resided in, and other connections they established with the province such as their health card and driving license.
If you genuinely intended and made efforts to settle in that province for a couple of months before you gave up and moved out, submitting such evidence should not pose a problem.
Long story short - being nominated by a province and moving out immediately after landing could come back to haunt you at a later date...

Last edited:

SamuraiJack

Jan 26, 2019
Your ITA should mention the stream you were invited under (FSW, CEC or PNP). That’s a sure shot way to be certain.
Also, what was your CRS score? Was it over 600?
All Provincial Nomination programs issue invitations after which you submit your documents and pay their application fees. Once that is done you receive your nomination in your Express Entry Account - which you need to accept to receive 600 points.
If you don’t remember doing any of this, then as @21Goose mentioned, you are unlikely to be a Provincial nominee.
This.

I checked my ITA and found the answer -FSW, so phew.

Thanks @skape7 !

Rebbers332

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Cairo, Egypt
App. Filed.......
06-09-2016
File Transfer...
20-10-2016
Interview........
24-10-2017
Hi I have a question I really need help with. Hi. My husband's cousin, who he has barely talked to his entire life, is harassing him to give all his information to him so he can get into Saskatchewan easier but my husband cant help him right now and has told him that. Now his cousin is causing trouble within the family. What will happen if my husband gives him all his info and the cousin gets in through Saskatchewan, but leaves because that is his intent. Will my husband be able to sponsor or get a visitor visa for his mom or sister in the future?

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If he doesn't have the intention to reside in Saskatchewan then do not help him commit immigration fraud. Have your husband block him and never talk to him again.