+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which office processes Citizenship applications of applicants who are now outside of Canada?

mandhaata

Aug 9, 2019
We submitted our Application while we were still living in Brampton (Ontario) and received our AOR also during that time.
Brampton applications are processed at Mississauga location.

Post AOR, we moved out of Canada (temporarily!) with full intentions of coming back to Canada.
I used the Web Form to update address on our applications to our US address.

Current Status: Waiting for Test Invite :)

Question:
Which office will be processing our applications now? Still Mississauga office or some other?
Anyone has any experience with this?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We submitted our Application while we were still living in Brampton (Ontario) and received our AOR also during that time.

Post AOR, we moved out of Canada (temporarily!) with full intentions of coming back to Canada.

Question:
Which office will be processing our applications now? Still Mississauga office or some other?
Application will remain with the Mississauga office.

Rie11

Sep 9, 2020

Question:
Would you mind sharing your experience - why you decided to update the address - is it because of how long you'll be staying away from Canada?
I am in the similar situation as you - that is I just moved away from Canada until July, 2021, but I haven't updated my address yet. Does updating your home address to "outside of Canada" delay the processing of your application if the mailing address is still in Canada?

mandhaata

Aug 9, 2019
Would you mind sharing your experience - why you decided to update the address - is it because of how long you'll be staying away from Canada?
I am in the similar situation as you - that is I just moved away from Canada until July, 2021, but I haven't updated my address yet. Does updating your home address to "outside of Canada" delay the processing of your application if the mailing address is still in Canada?

I updated just to keep my records straight. As per guidance on IRCC website, if you are moving out > 3-4 weeks (cannot remember the exact duration) you should use Web Form to inform IRCC of your absence.

Anyways, the way US and Canada border authorities exchange information, it will be an easy check for Gov authorities to figure that someone is in-Canada our outside.

I see many experiences shared on this forum from people who moved out of Canada (post submission) or even submitted Citizenship application while being outside Canada and they say that they received their citizenship without any hassle/issues caused by the fact that they were not in Canada for the entire duration.

So based on these (IRCC website guidance plus other people's experiences) I updated my address.

My Citizenship application status has not changed ever since but thats true for many other applicants who have stayed in Canada so cannot say if my application is impacted or not.

I was just looking to find if my application will stay with Mississauga office or any other center now - plain curiosity (Mississauga is one of the slowest centers)!

Reactions: Rie11