+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which office makes the decision? What’s the journey of an application?

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Outland applications:
I understand that applications start processing in Case Processing Centre: Sydney, Nova Scotia. Then it gets transferred to the local visa office outside Canada. Does anyone have a clear idea when and if the application get returned to cpc Sydney? More specifically, it would be great to know if what I have here is correct (I’m trying to understand the journey of the application between offices back and forth):

CPC Sydney:
1- Biometrics
2- Medicals
3- Sponsor approval

Local office (outside Canada):
1- Relationship
2- PA eligibility
3- Background checks
4- Final decision on application

Reactions: fwd and Nomnoms

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Outland applications:
I understand that applications start processing in Case Processing Centre: Sydney, Nova Scotia. Then it gets transferred to the local visa office outside Canada. Does anyone have a clear idea when and if the application get returned to cpc Sydney? More specifically, it would be great to know if what I have here is correct (I’m trying to understand the journey of the application between offices back and forth):

CPC Sydney:
1- Biometrics
2- Medicals
3- Sponsor approval

Local office (outside Canada):
1- Relationship
2- PA eligibility
3- Background checks
4- Final decision on application
I think this is basically correct. (Not that I think knowing this chnages much)

A few small things I'd add (note I don't really know about inland applications):

1) in Sydney, there's a preliminary assessment / evaluation made, basically at same time as the others. Improtant because this is probably the first evaulation that makes an assessment about whether eg interview is needed and highlights if there are any noticeable issues. Mind, it's short and not final of course.

2) "Local office" can be offices in Canada instead - less of this lately but before many went to mississauga. Then for a while many were going to Ottawa.

3) Sometimes there are those here who think they know that eg ones that go to such and such an office are the 'easy' files or other tea-leaf reading diagnoses. Those reasons may not be stable and may just be temporary. And attempts to crack the code of the black box from outside may often just be wrong (we see patterns where there may not be any).

4) Same but even more strong comment for whether it means files will be quick or slow. It's easy to make wrong conclusions.

3) "Local" may not be local (to the applicant), and may not always be the traditional 'assigned' offices. For a while they were moving files out of London to Warsaw (presumably not doing that now, viz Ukraine) and to other under-utilized offices. Loadsharing basically.

4) There was a period when files were being 'sent' to other offices esp Beijing - and then it turned out Beijing was doing a sort-of middle office function, clearly doing some work on it but final decision was in [some other local office.]

5) All of these were both covid related things and initiatives to clear the backlog and 'process changes' (with more digital and electronic files etc). Since IRCC has announced that many of these are going 'electronic' (probably soon enough they will start to accept primarily electronic submissions as the default), some of this is going to change.

Fundamentally apart from physically putting the visa in the passport, almost none of the process HAS to take place in [insert country or visa office or embassy here.] Apart from that, there is not much that HAS to be hard-copy.

Right now is a weird period where eg for inland applications / outland where spouse is in Canada, they issue eCOPR and accept digital submissions of photos for the PR cards - and yet for ETA outland applications, they seem to require sending the physical photos so a printed COPR can be mailed. It doesn't strictly make a lot of sense. And they could cut a lot of this down and are, bit by bit.

Reactions: fwd and DimT44

fashiontart

Nov 18, 2021
I've been curious about the process as well. My SA didn't say which visa office my app was sent to, just that it was sent. I applied online, so I can't access ECAS. I wonder if I'll ever know? haha

Reactions: DimT44

chouchou959

Apr 8, 2015
I've been curious about the process as well. My SA didn't say which visa office my app was sent to, just that it was sent. I applied online, so I can't access ECAS. I wonder if I'll ever know? haha
Why? online application can’t have access to ecas? I can’t check mine in ecas, but can link to online acc. Want to know is this normal.

fashiontart

Nov 18, 2021
Why? online application can’t have access to ecas? I can’t check mine in ecas, but can link to online acc. Want to know is this normal.
I've not seen it mentioned officially, but several people on different forums have said online applicants can't access ECAS. And I've never been able to, despite about a hundred attempts to. I've linked to new tracker and GCKey, though.

chouchou959

Apr 8, 2015
I've not seen it mentioned officially, but several people on different forums have said online applicants can't access ECAS. And I've never been able to, despite about a hundred attempts to. I've linked to new tracker and GCKey, though.
That’s very strange. I always think they messed up my uci or birthday in ecas, but now if you put it that way…
When you say online application, you mean apply thru portal as opposed to paper application, right?

fashiontart

Nov 18, 2021
That’s very strange. I always think they messed up my uci or birthday in ecas, but now if you put it that way…
When you say online application, you mean apply thru portal as opposed to paper application, right?
Yes, I applied through the portal online.

Br33zer

Mar 18, 2016
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
I've been digging around a bit more into this, and I have a question. So I found this AOR2 template from LVO on the forum, and it mentions an eligibility letter before the admissibility process starts. Is the eligibility letter the pre-arrival letter in this case? It sounds a lot like it, I've underlined where it is below in the quote.

What are the steps in the review of your application?

The first step took place at the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia where a review was conducted to assess whether your sponsor was eligible to sponsor you and met the requirements for sponsorship. We will now assess whether you, the applicant, meet the relevant requirements to be granted a permanent resident visa.

Your application will first go through a pre-assessment done by Case Analysts. Case Analysts do not make decisions. They will go over the facts of your application and deepen the understanding of your circumstances before your file is assigned to an officer for processing. You may receive a request for additional evidence.

Once your application is assigned to an officer, the first step will be for the officer to review whether you meet the requirements for the Family Class category you applied under. This is called: Eligibility.

Once eligibility is completed, the officer will review your admissibility to Canada. Providing there are no concerns, the decision on your admissibility may closely follow the decision on your eligibility. However, complex medical conditions, criminal records or security concerns can significantly extend the processing time of your application. Certain reviews or verifications are conducted by partner agencies and these verifications will most likely extend the processing time of your application.

Once these reviews are completed, your application should be ready for final decision.

How and when will you hear back from us?

Once the eligibility is successfully passed, you will receive an eligibility letter informing you of the positive eligibility decision and providing information to help you prepare for immigration. Please keep in mind that this letter simply means that you are eligible, not that your application will be approved.

Admissibility is reviewed shortly after eligibility is successfully passed. You should expect to hear back from us within 60 days following the receipt of the eligibility letter.

If there are concerns with your eligibility or your admissibility, or if further evidence is required, you will receive a request letter or you may be requested to attend an interview. Certain reviews or verifications may extend the processing of your application beyond 12 months.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I'd add though: the precise meaning of eligibility and admissibility above sounds very simple and clear in that text, but in practice may not be exactoy what people outside iRCC think. But in simple terms, yes, pre-arrival means eligibility passed.

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
I'd add though: the precise meaning of eligibility and admissibility above sounds very simple and clear in that text, but in practice may not be exactoy what people outside iRCC think. But in simple terms, yes, pre-arrival means eligibility passed.
You mean most people outside IRCC when they hear eligibility was passed think the application was approved and will not be denied afterwards, when in reality it can (because of admissibility issues for example). Is that what you're referring to?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You mean most people outside IRCC when they hear eligibility was passed think the application was approved and will not be denied afterwards, when in reality it can (because of admissibility issues for example). Is that what you're referring to?
Basically yes. And that the various systems refer to stages using different terms like background checks which may not map exactly to the elibilithy/admissibility language (and I'm not sure IRCC is always consistent about those two either).

Reactions: DimT44

BRIL23

Feb 27, 2017
Does anyone have idea process of successful appeal? IRCC still didn’t acknowledge if they received back the file 3 months after appeal allowed and I have seen some appeal applications IRCC reopen application with in 10 days after appeal allowed.