+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which is better place for new immigrant; Calgary or Winnipeg??

vjvikas86

Jan 16, 2016
Hello, I have received my PR under FSWP. My background is basically in engineering (B.E. Chemical). I have experience of 3 years in production and another 3.5 years in sales and business development of capital equipment (renewable technology).

I am bit confused in matter of whether settling in Winnipeg or Calgary, considering current job scenario.

Which will be better for earning and less expenditures (am single).

alexy2016

Star Member
May 4, 2016
I live in Winnipeg and I haven’t met someone yet working in a field similar to yours. And to work in engineering I believe you must be licensed in Canada and have pursued your education here first. Also, since Canada is very particular with the “Canadian experience” thing, it’s hard to get a job without this Canadian working experience; more so for jobs that require a degree. From my experience though, there are some companies that consider your previous work experience even if it’s not in Canada because I was able to get a job in accounting before.

Winnipeg is fine as long as you can stand the harsh winters. I haven’t been to Calgary but I heard it’s more fun there and the winter is not as harsh as winters in Winnipeg. I think it’s cheaper here though, in terms of rent and some commodities. I’m married but I’m living like a single person here since my husband’s working overseas and I can tell you that I can save as much as half of my pay monthly. (I take the bus, cook my meals, rent is $400 since I just a rent a room and rarely go out). I’m working for an office job in the provincial government that doesn’t require a degree and I get paid substantially.

Manitoba is immigrant friendly. I have attended some seminars that will guide you on everything you need to know in beginning a new life here and even teach you on how to prepare a Canadian standard of resume. Honestly, my job right now, it was previously advertised as “equity preference” for visible minorities and person with disabilities- meaning if you belong to either one of these groups you will be prioritized in the selection process and I’m totally thankful for that. The government has some of these equity types of job ads you just have to look.

Reactions: nlonguk

vjvikas86

Jan 16, 2016
Thanks alexy2016.

I am planning to come down to Winnipeg around June 3rd week. I have discussion of an on going job there but that will take time till the month of October November. But need to come down since my Visa expires in July.

Will have to adjust with some temporary job till then.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
If it matters to you, processing times for citizenship applications in Winnipeg have been abysmally long compared to other places. Things may be getting better, but Winnipeg is still one of the slower offices in the country.

wifiwifey

Star Member
Jul 13, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-11-2015
Doc's Request.
22-03-2016
AOR Received.
04-11-2015
Med's Done....
27-10-2015
Passport Req..
04-05-2016
Hi Alexy,

I am received my PR and will be moving to Canada (with spouse) for good. The most tricky decision I am having to make is where to move Toronto or Edmonton/Calgary. It would be very helpful if you could give me some idea.

Profession: Accounting & Finance
Work Experience: 4 years (3.5 years in Bangaldesh & 6 months in Qatar)
Qualification: CPA Canada, ACCA UK, Bachelors

I am really concerned about the job market as I have come across many news about lay offs, fall in oil prices, etc. Can you please advise if Toronto would be better or Edmonton? I am not expecting a lot but at-least an entry level accounting job.

Thanks!

alexy2016 said:
I live in Winnipeg and I haven’t met someone yet working in a field similar to yours. And to work in engineering I believe you must be licensed in Canada and have pursued your education here first. Also, since Canada is very particular with the “Canadian experience” thing, it’s hard to get a job without this Canadian working experience; more so for jobs that require a degree. From my experience though, there are some companies that consider your previous work experience even if it’s not in Canada because I was able to get a job in accounting before.

Winnipeg is fine as long as you can stand the harsh winters. I haven’t been to Calgary but I heard it’s more fun there and the winter is not as harsh as winters in Winnipeg. I think it’s cheaper here though, in terms of rent and some commodities. I’m married but I’m living like a single person here since my husband’s working overseas and I can tell you that I can save as much as half of my pay monthly. (I take the bus, cook my meals, rent is $400 since I just a rent a room and rarely go out). I’m working for an office job in the provincial government that doesn’t require a degree and I get paid substantially.

Manitoba is immigrant friendly. I have attended some seminars that will guide you on everything you need to know in beginning a new life here and even teach you on how to prepare a Canadian standard of resume. Honestly, my job right now, it was previously advertised as “equity preference” for visible minorities and person with disabilities- meaning if you belong to either one of these groups you will be prioritized in the selection process and I’m totally thankful for that. The government has some of these equity types of job ads you just have to look.