+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which documents need to be presented to Air Canada? Both passport and PR card?

melylags

Star Member
Nov 25, 2018
Hi all, I became a Canadian PR in September and I hold a US passport. I'm flying back to Canada tomorrow and this is the first time I'll have to use my PR card to enter Canada. Does the airline need to know I'm a PR? I'm assuming I will need to scan my PR card when I land, but will I need to scan both my passport and PR card? I will be going through customs in Montreal for reference.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all, I became a Canadian PR in September and I hold a US passport. I'm flying back to Canada tomorrow and this is the first time I'll have to use my PR card to enter Canada. Does the airline need to know I'm a PR? I'm assuming I will need to scan my PR card when I land, but will I need to scan both my passport and PR card? I will be going through customs in Montreal for reference.
As a US citizen, you can just show your passport.

Jaybee43

Feb 28, 2019
The airline isnt concerned about your PR. All they want to see is a valid travel document that allows you into the country of your destination. IE; Your USA passport. CBSA will want to see your PR documents.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The airline isnt concerned about your PR. All they want to see is a valid travel document that allows you into the country of your destination. IE; Your USA passport. CBSA will want to see your PR documents.
Note that this is only true for Americans. PRs of all other nationalities must show a PR card or PRTD to board a plane to Canada.

Jaybee43

Feb 28, 2019
Note that this is only true for Americans. PRs of all other nationalities must show a PR card or PRTD to board a plane to Canada.
Negative. Airlines only care about if the passengers' passport allows them travel to canada with or without a Visa. Having said that if the passenger has a one way ticket to canada with a foreign passport then the airline will ask for a return ticket or PR to substantiate their one way ticket. This also applies to US citizens

zt2018

Apr 6, 2018
I think I misunderstood the OP's question. I was thinking about situation with 2 citizenships (US + 1) and Canadian PR.
When tickets are booked, you need to write your name exactly as it is written in the document you'll be using while travelling (passport) and country which issued the document (passport).

So when there is just one citizenship (US), the situation is even easier.

The objective of the of the air company is to determine before boarding that you'll be allowed to enter the country you are flying to and the company will not have to fly you back and pay fines if you are denied entry (yes, air companies are fined if they bring passengers without proper docs). So have your passport and PR card ready just in case.

When you are in Canada, you'll need just your PR card (if you are using the scanner), officers might ask for both passport and PR card (personal experience)

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Negative. Airlines only care about if the passengers' passport allows them travel to canada with or without a Visa. Having said that if the passenger has a one way ticket to canada with a foreign passport then the airline will ask for a return ticket or PR to substantiate their one way ticket. This also applies to US citizens
Wrong. Visa-exempt passports require an eTA to be able to board a plane to Canada, the exception being Americans. PRs don't qualify for eTAs. If they try applying for one, the system kicks it back because they are a PR. They WILL be refused boarding.