+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Which country of residence should I provide in my cv?

alex1387

Oct 6, 2017
What is the pros and cons of specifying Canada as a country of residence, when I am outside of Canada?
I see that it would raise my chances to be shortlisted. On the other hand, HRs could think I try to cheat them. Your thoughts?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I guess the first question might be are you already a legal perm resident of Canada but just happen to be living outside Canada at the moment ?

What would be your response if called for an interview in a day or 2 and you have to come clean that you lied on your CV given you might not be able to drop everything and catch a flight at short notice ? I guess you could have an excuse prepared you were on vacation or a business trip out of the country compounding the initial misrepresentation

Ultimately depends how far you want to stretch the truth, I mean if you actually have a residential address in Canada, pay taxes in Canada but are living out of the country temporarily then technically could claim Canada as country of perm residence. If none of these apply then a matter of conscience given untruths have a habit of catching up eventually

Obviously as you already guessed candidates already in the country and available will usually always be considered over those not in the country given employers apart from suitability look for potential availability of the applicant. Employers simply will not wait around for someone from outside the country who may or may not either turn up for an interview or if even offered even turn up in the country when they said they would thus wasting their time.

In end is your decision as am sure plenty of people follow the path you are suggesting, some with just a Canadian phone number to achieve the same result but then again managing the availability to attend an interview may always be the challenge.

Last edited: