+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Whether to renew PR card or apply for citizenship

AliMR

Mar 3, 2018
I hold a PR card that expires in late April AND I am eligible to apply for citizenship. I'm not sure whether to apply to renew the PR card or apply for citizenship. I want to apply for Canadian citizenship. Can I apply for citizenship, then let the PR card expire while I wait, and then apply for a PR travel document if I need to travel internationally and return to Canada? Or do I need to do both: apply for the PR card renewal and citizenship at the same time?

Also, does the expiration of the PR card mean that my PR status expires? And does this affect my employment? Will I lose my employment if my PR card expires?

FrodonSBK

Feb 28, 2018
I hold a PR card that expires in late April AND I am eligible to apply for citizenship. I'm not sure whether to apply to renew the PR card or apply for citizenship. I want to apply for Canadian citizenship. Can I apply for citizenship, then let the PR card expire while I wait, and then apply for a PR travel document if I need to travel internationally and return to Canada? Or do I need to do both: apply for the PR card renewal and citizenship at the same time?

Also, does the expiration of the PR card mean that my PR status expires? And does this affect my employment? Will I lose my employment if my PR card expires?
You will not lose your PR status if your PR card is expired, you need your card only for travel, you can apply for both citizenship and PR card renewal and that will not delay the processing time because they are completely seperate process
If you dont want to apply for PR card renewal, then when you will be abroad just go to a canadian ambassy and they gonna give you a document to come back to canada

Reactions: AliMR

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Apply for PR Card renewal if you need to travel abroad.........alot of times the Canadian embassies give a hard time and require alot of documentations as proof of compliance with PR status. Avoid all that by getting a new PR Card before you go. It's only 50 bucks. But saves a ton of hassle outside of Canada.
And apply for citizenship as well. Get it over with so u don't have to worry about status anymore.

Reactions: AliMR