+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Whether a family with children can enter Canada with expired PR Cards through US

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
Sydkadra said:
Hi All Experts
As it was posted the family want to travel to Canada is having US non-immigrant visa (B1/B2) valid of 10 years. The question is if the family enters US via New York and take a Car on rent and drive do Niagara Falls and head to the Queenston-Lewiston Bridge, whether the US immigration officials may want to see the documents which satisfy them that the family having travel authorization to Canada. The question
1- whether they see the expired PR cards as acceptable documents for entry into Canada and allow the family to leave US border
2- Whether the family can return to US say in case they want to return my intention here is whether it is allowed to enter US border same day with the B1/B2 Visitor Visa or there shall be lapse of some days or weeks. As in some country once you leave the country, you can not re-enter without a lapse of 8 weeks.
I just want to know about multiple entry US Visa whether it can be used to enter and leave US for many number of times or the entry exit is restricted with intersperse of time lapse.
If somebody want to shed more light and provide more details about the land travel for those who are from non-exempt Visa countries and enter Canada by land through US land border.
Thanks

Question 1. No, the US could not care less about your PR cards when you leave the US as in fact, there is not exit control from the US. You just go from highway to bridge and directly into Canada's Customs and Immigration. However, expired PR cards are not sufficient to re-enter Canada.
Question 2. A multiple entry visa is to enter many times, even on the same day. It all depends on whether you leave and enter everyday for a few days when it may eventually become an issue with US agents.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sydkadra said:
Dear Msafiri
Thank you for the above reply. However, my question was a bit different to your answer to Q-1. I intended to ask about the CBP officials at the border of Lewiston-Queenston Bridge on US side as to how they want to ensure themselves that the person leaving the US border is having the valid authorization to enter another country and in our case is Canada and whether they are satisfied with expired PR cards and COPR document or whether they don't bother at all and just allow the person(s) to leave putting the just exit stamp on the passport. This I need clarification as the family never traveled by land previously.

Thanks alot
As advised for land border crossings you only deal with officials on the entry side. So when going from the US to Canada you deal with CBSA only not CBP. When going from Canada to US you deal with CBP. In your described travel route you will deal with CBP only when you first enter the US.

Sydkadra

Star Member
Jun 28, 2014
Msafiri said:
As advised for land border crossings you only deal with officials on the entry side. So when going from the US to Canada you deal with CBSA only not CBP. When going from Canada to US you deal with CBP. In your described travel route you will deal with CBP only when you first enter the US.
Dear Msafiri
It was not known that there is no exit control in US as well and hence the we come across with CBP/CBSA only when we enter the respective country but there is no control of exiting the country by any mode of travel unlike in other countries. Thank you for this clarification.

deweysmith

Mar 20, 2015
Montreal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2015
AOR Received.
23-04-2015
File Transfer...
15-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
22-08-2015
LANDED..........
29-08-2012
Msafiri said:
This is not ALWAYS true, as sometimes they will force traffic through exit control at CBP (they did this recently in the Montreal area because 2 prisoners escaped from a high-security prison in rural New York) but there won't be questions about what you're doing or why, in this specific instance I'm referring to they just checked to make sure I wasn't hiding a fugitive in my trunk or anything.