+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Where's home?" for a PR living long-term in the USA

clickityclack

Apr 24, 2020
Hi

I have had a PR for a ~2 years now, almost all of it have lived in Canada (and before that another 2 years on a work permit). I drive to the US every now and then, and every time I cross the border, CBSA officers ask "Where's home for you?". Currently I just give them the name of the town I live in, and that's basically it.

Very soon I'll be moving to the USA for work, likely for at least one year. But I'd want to still visit Canada every now and then (see friends, visit places, etc). If anyone has done this, what do you say when you visit Canada for "where's home"? If you are saying that you don't live in Canada anymore, at what point will the border officers start questioning whether you still qualify to be a permanent resident?

Last edited:

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You would really have no choice but to answer truthfully; you would say that you live in (city/state), but tell the CBSA officer (if questioned) that you are fully aware of what the Residency Obligations are regarding maintaining PR status. You must be physically in Canada for at least 730 days in each rolling 5 year period, unless you are accompanying your Canadian spouse or partner.

clickityclack

Apr 24, 2020
You would really have no choice but to answer truthfully; you would say that you live in (city/state), but tell the CBSA officer (if questioned) that you are fully aware of what the Residency Obligations are regarding maintaining PR status. You must be physically in Canada for at least 730 days in each rolling 5 year period, unless you are accompanying your Canadian spouse or partner.
Thanks. I intend to answer truthfully, just wanted to see what is the experience like, what questions to expect, etc.

clickityclack

Apr 24, 2020
Normal questions that you get at any border. Why are you entering Canada, where are you going, etc.
I was asked by a CBSA officer "what is you plan on maintaining your permanent residency", when I told them that the purpose of my short trip to US was to arrange for housing. I'm curious if they can put me in trouble even if I still have more than 730 days in Canada within the last 5 years.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I was asked by a CBSA officer "what is you plan on maintaining your permanent residency", when I told them that the purpose of my short trip to US was to arrange for housing. I'm curious if they can put me in trouble even if I still have more than 730 days in Canada within the last 5 years.

Not as long as you continue to meet your RO. Given that you seem to have moved from the US and left as soon as you qualified for citizenship you may face more questioning since leaving as soon as you qualify for citizenship isn’t viewed favourably by many.