+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Where to start Outland sponsorship?

D&S

Star Member
Nov 19, 2019
Category........
FAM
Hello everyone! I am happy to say that my long-term partner (from Germany) and myself (Canadian citizen) finally got married and are now in the process of researching the PR application process. I have some questions (ha ha!) but the main question is from where should we submit the application? Currently my spouse is back in Germany as his visitor status in Canada expired the end of October.

Should we complete and submit the application while he is in Germany and I am in Canada? He plans on coming back to Canada in early 2020 (February) so should we wait until he is back in Canada to do the PR then?

My concern, from what I have read, is that if he has submitted his PR application while abroad, he may not be allowed back into Canada until he his PR has been approved.....so wouldn't it be wiser to wait to submit the PR application until he is back in Canada on visitor status?

Thanks SO much for any advice!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone! I am happy to say that my long-term partner (from Germany) and myself (Canadian citizen) finally got married and are now in the process of researching the PR application process. I have some questions (ha ha!) but the main question is from where should we submit the application? Currently my spouse is back in Germany as his visitor status in Canada expired the end of October.

Should we complete and submit the application while he is in Germany and I am in Canada? He plans on coming back to Canada in early 2020 (February) so should we wait until he is back in Canada to do the PR then?

My concern, from what I have read, is that if he has submitted his PR application while abroad, he may not be allowed back into Canada until he his PR has been approved.....so wouldn't it be wiser to wait to submit the PR application until he is back in Canada on visitor status?

Thanks SO much for any advice!
It depends if you want to apply inland or outland. If inland, you must wait for him to come to Canada and he must remain living with you in Canada throughout the process. If outland, you can apply now and he can come as a visitor; he should have no issues entering with a sponsorship app in process. Note that biometrics for an outland app must be done outside of Canada, so he would have to leave to do this.

D&S

Star Member
Nov 19, 2019
Category........
FAM
It depends if you want to apply inland or outland. If inland, you must wait for him to come to Canada and he must remain living with you in Canada throughout the process. If outland, you can apply now and he can come as a visitor; he should have no issues entering with a sponsorship app in process. Note that biometrics for an outland app must be done outside of Canada, so he would have to leave to do this.
Ah, ok. That is great to hear, thank you. Yes, while he is in Germany he will get his biometrics, medical and police clearances as well. Question, so now he will have to fill out his portion of the PR application online, print off and sign in ink and then mail to me so I can submit with my sponsor application, correct?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ah, ok. That is great to hear, thank you. Yes, while he is in Germany he will get his biometrics, medical and police clearances as well. Question, so now he will have to fill out his portion of the PR application online, print off and sign in ink and then mail to me so I can submit with my sponsor application, correct?
Yes, everything goes together.

D&S

Star Member
Nov 19, 2019
Category........
FAM
OK. Thank you, I just figured out that his biometrics and medical exam will be requested so depending on the time frame he may be back in Canada by then SO he will have to go back to get those done at a VAC in Germany, correct?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
OK. Thank you, I just figured out that his biometrics and medical exam will be requested so depending on the time frame he may be back in Canada by then SO he will have to go back to get those done at a VAC in Germany, correct?
The medical can be done in Canada. Biometrics can't be done here but he could go the the US.