+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Where to settle in Alberta?

Thinkin

Star Member
Jan 4, 2016
After having worked in the US for more than 10 years on H1-B (eb2 priority mid-2010, of course I am from India), finally decided to move to Canada as we got the Canadian PR through the Alberta Nomination program. With a lot of thinking we are decided not to loose the Canadian PR and let go of the H1-B as no idea when the priority date would get current. If we don't enter Canada by April 2017, we will loose the Canadian PR.

Coming to the point, we are a family of 3: my wife, my 2 year old child and myself. Fortunately or unfortunately Alberta is our only option to settle. Can someone guide us which place in Alberta would be better to settle for new comers that too from no-snow area in the US. I work in the IT sector and do see some jobs in both Edmonton and Calgary. I guess Edmonton is cheaper than Calgary in term of housing, but also heard Calgary is a bit warmer (weather-wise) compared to Edmonton. Can someone give any suggestion on which place I should pick based on personal experience to settle?

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
No idea about Alberta..but the temperature is for sure the same. No such thing as Calgary being warmer.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
foodie69 said:
No idea about Alberta..but the temperature is for sure the same. No such thing as Calgary being warmer.
Actually I heard something different. Calgary might be warmer than Edmonton because of jet stream.

Also, it's not uncommon for a PNP individual or family to move to another province for a living.

Thinkin

Star Member
Jan 4, 2016
steaky said:
Actually I heard something different. Calgary might be warmer than Edmonton because of jet stream.

Also, it's not uncommon for a PNP individual or family to move to another province for a living.
I heard that if I move to some other province without making/showing effort to settle in the nominating province then there may be issues while renewing the PR. Is there some truth in this?

Annaliseee002

Mar 4, 2017
Thinkin said:
After having worked in the US for more than 10 years on H1-B (eb2 priority mid-2010, of course I am from India), finally decided to move to Canada as we got the Canadian PR through the Alberta Nomination program. With a lot of thinking we are decided not to loose the Canadian PR and let go of the H1-B as no idea when the priority date would get current. If we don't enter Canada by April 2017, we will loose the Canadian PR.

Coming to the point, we are a family of 3: my wife, my 2 year old child and myself. Fortunately or unfortunately Alberta is our only option to settle. Can someone guide us which place in Alberta would be better to settle for new comers that too from no-snow area in the US. I work in the IT sector and do see some jobs in both Edmonton and Calgary. I guess Edmonton is cheaper than Calgary in term of housing, but also heard Calgary is a bit warmer (weather-wise) compared to Edmonton. Can someone give any suggestion on which place I should pick based on personal experience to settle?
I moved to Calgary less than a year ago and besides the cold weather it's not bad.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thinkin said:
I heard that if I move to some other province without making/showing effort to settle in the nominating province then there may be issues while renewing the PR. Is there some truth in this?
I heard that they need to try settlement in the province nominating them, but if things doesn't work out, they can move elsewhere.

Thinkin

Star Member
Jan 4, 2016
steaky said:
I heard that they need to try settlement in the province nominating them, but if things doesn't work out, they can move elsewhere.
That is what I heard too. So in anycase my initial place to settle would be Alberta despite the slow economy to find a job. I work in the IT sector, so feel may still be able to get something.

Thinkin

Star Member
Jan 4, 2016
Annaliseee002 said:
I moved to Calgary less than a year ago and besides the cold weather it's not bad.
Thanks for the positive response. Is the job market getting better there?

anjun

Star Member
Jul 2, 2013
We are a family of 3 as well and thinking strongly about Calgary also by mid-April.
We are primarily in the financial services sector and we know that Calgary went through or is still going through a rough time.. however we really would like to the small city like feel. We also thought about Toronto greatly, however the house prices to own a home in the next year or so is through the roof. We are in between and can't really decide:(
If you are thinking about moving to Calgary we have looked into communities in the southwest and the northwest.. they are a little more on renting but in terms of schooling and a safer community we prefer either those two.

Thinkin said:
Thanks for the positive response. Is the job market getting better there?

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Edmonton and Calgary. Winter weather is too cold. Now job market is down due to low oil price.

Andynd1uk

Star Member
Jan 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-05-2016
AOR Received.
01-06-2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
10-03-2016
Passport Req..
29-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-09-2016
LANDED..........
10-09-2016
I live in Calgary and yeah, it's cold, in the winter. We've had a particularly bad winter this year, lots of snow and the mercury has barely risen above -5, with the coldest snaps getting to as low as -30. However, Calgary has the benefit over Edmonton of being sheltered by the Rockies, which delivers a Chinook every now and then. The Chinook is warm jet stream that lifts the temperature up by a substantial amount. Come to Calgary and you'll never want to leave, it has a hold on you. Can't say I've ever been to Edmonton, never really fancied it but it looks pretty.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Calgary has a reputation for having more white collar jobs and Edmonton more blue collar jobs. As others have said, Calgary gets the warm winds sometimes along the rockies making for a sudden increase in temperature but apart from that, the weather is similar. If you like skiing, Calgary is closer to the mountains. If you are in Edmonton, you would have to drive a bit.

Thinkin

Star Member
Jan 4, 2016
Annaliseee002 said:
I'm 15 years old so I don't know how valuable my opinion on this is lol
Well it is very valuable as it gives me an idea how children and young adults view Calgary. Good to know you like it there inspite the cold. Can I ask from where did you move to Calgary? Also what do you feel about the schools there? I have a 2 year old son, so any update on the schools in Calgary would help. Thank you.