+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Where to present COPR arriving in Canada

Francisco000

Star Member
Aug 20, 2016
Hi, I am sponsoring my wife and her daughter and they already have the immigration visa. We want to live in London Ontario, but first the plane will arrive into Toronto , then we will take another one to London. Where they have to presenter their COPRs : In Toronto or London? Thanks for sharing your experience.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, I am sponsoring my wife and her daughter and they already have the immigration visa. We want to live in London Ontario, but first the plane will arrive into Toronto , then we will take another one to London. Where they have to presenter their COPRs : In Toronto or London? Thanks for sharing your experience.
Port of Entry is Toronto that is where you go through immigration and enter Canada.

Francisco000

Star Member
Aug 20, 2016
Thank you @Naturgrl , how long do you think we will need if my wife and daughter will have to present their COPRs? we have to board the next flight 3 hours after we arrive in Toronto.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The wait to is always dependent on how many people are also going through immigration. It is also dependent on how crazy the airport is that day. We have seen some nightmare waits on the news but it seems to have calmed down a bit and be running better. They also have to go through security again so that can create delaya. Hopefully they are arriving earlier on in the day and if they miss their flight hopefully they can be rescheduled onto the next flight to London.

Francisco000

Star Member
Aug 20, 2016
3 hours should be fine. You will need to go through CBSA, immigration, pick up and recheck luggage.
Thanks @Naturgrl , one question, why we will need to recheck our baggage if we 3 travel via AirCanada in both flights, I think AirCanada move automatically our baggages to the next flight, right?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks @Naturgrl , one question, why we will need to recheck our baggage if we 3 travel via AirCanada in both flights, I think AirCanada move automatically our baggages to the next flight, right?
I think for London ontario you will have to retrieve your bags, go through customs, and then just after customs drop them off on the belt/machine to get booked through to destination. But check with Air Canada (or possibly Pearson site explains in detail).

Curious_Man

Star Member
Oct 16, 2020
I'm almost 100% sure for Air Canada - Air Canada connection you don't need to worry about your bags. You're lucky you're flying AC through Pearson otherwise the 3 hours probably wouldn't be enough with a potential terminal change and re-checking, re clearing security. (Pearson remains the only airport where I missed a connection in my entire life - through no fault of my own)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
\
Hi

Toronto,

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
The only question here is since it's international flight and they decide to secondary inspect or challenge on the accompanying goods where would they do this in London?

Of would they pull the bags from plane in case they decided he needed to be inspected?

Just seems a bit too good to be true that one could circumvent a potential secondary inspection by simply having a carrier that will automate baggage versus not.

I cannot comment on it personally at this point since my wife's port of entry was Vancouver and I had a domestically secured flight on my own for my final destination, so this didn't apply.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
The only question here is since it's international flight and they decide to secondary inspect or challenge on the accompanying goods where would they do this in London?

Of would they pull the bags from plane in case they decided he needed to be inspected?

Just seems a bit too good to be true that one could circumvent a potential secondary inspection by simply having a carrier that will automate baggage versus not.

I cannot comment on it personally at this point since my wife's port of entry was Vancouver and I had a domestically secured flight on my own for my final destination, so this didn't apply.
You are landing and entering Canada in Toronto. It is in Toronto where you go through CBSA/immigration/secondary inspection. As for bags, it will depend on where you are flying from. AC has explanations on how to get through the terminal.

Air Canada - Toronto Connection From International to Canada

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
You are landing and entering Canada in Toronto. It is in Toronto where you go through CBSA/immigration/secondary inspection. As for bags, it will depend on where you are flying from. AC has explanations on how to get through the terminal.

Air Canada - Toronto Connection From International to Canada
I am aware of all that however how can they pull open your bags for secondary inspection if you never have them and are potentially on the way to London?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am aware of all that however how can they pull open your bags for secondary inspection if you never have them and are potentially on the way to London?
I believe they can open them if they wish and/or flag them for a CBSA person to follow-up / inspect in London if they need to.

Remember: London Ontario is an international airport. This type of mingling of international travellers' baggage and domestic is common in Europe, it's just something Canada didn't do for ages.

(That said, havne't done this myself in Canada, just have in Europe. But if you have questions - ask the airline).

Reactions: nedvert