+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Where to live?

c_j_l_1

Oct 3, 2007
Please adivise if you can! I'm an English Radiographer (AKA medical radiological technologist, x-ray technician) with a degree from an English university. Can anyone please tell me where there is the greatest demand for this profession? And which province has the lowest cost of living/taxes etc? And does anyone know IS there a demand for my profession in Canada, or am I going to be unemployed for a long time? I have read scary stories about skilled immigrants not being able to find employment in their chosen field.

Many thanks for any information.

Clare

gyucel23

Dec 30, 2004
I landed in Canada almost a year ago. Before I moved I asked the same question.
First I want to share my experience with you.
I was in US for about 10 years before I moved to Canada, and I earned my MBA in US as well.
It was November of 2006, and because of the holidays the job market was dead. I found a contract job in Feb 07. So basically it took 1-2 months. I would say most newcomers first find a contract job. These jobs are not permanent, but there is always a possibility to become permanent. Also it is better to look for a job while you are working. I then found a permanent job after about 6 months on that contract. I have to say, for me it wasnt that difficult to secure a job since I had education and experience from US.
My wife on the other hand had her college degree from overseas. We found a co-op (like internship) program for her. This program was for 11 weeks thru a government agency. At the end of the 11 weeks, they sent her to a co-op job for 2 months with no pay. By the way there are tons of free programs sponsored by the government. After the 2 months co-op they offered my wife a 6-month contract job, and she is still working there. They will probably extend her contract, and after a few terms, they offer a permanent job.

gyucel23

Dec 30, 2004
Re: Where to live? Job search experience

Here is a couple of points that may be helpful for newcomers:
1. If you dont have no Canadian (or US) experience, it is really difficult to find a job. There are may immigrant applicants for one open job, and most of the times you dont even get an interview. Companies are not willing to hire newcomers right away.
2. It may take a long time to find the job that you are looking for. So while you are searching, you can take a contract job. This contract may not be related to your profession. You will earn money to pay your living expenses.
3. You should take advantage of all government sponsored programs, and if you have little or no experience, you should go thru the co-op programs. After a couple of years, you ll be able to find better jobs.
4. Do not have high expectations. It may take a couple of years for you and your family to settle and have a better life.
5. All the hardworking and good people I have met were able to find a good job and make a living.
6. The unemployment rate is now record low. Canada's economy is in great shape.
7. You will have health insurance, and other benefits.
8. If you have a good job, life is perfect in Canada. If you dont have a job it is miserable.
I hope this helps.

gyucel23

Dec 30, 2004
Where to live?

Well, Toronto is the largest city with the most number of available jobs. But most immigrants come to Toronto.
Ottawa has more government jobs.
Montreal is only for French speaking individuals.
Vancouver is an expensive city.
Calgary and Edmonton in Alberta have oil companies, jobs pay higher, there are many labor jobs available. But it is really cold.

So it is hard to make a suggestion. But if you ask my opinion, I would say Toronto area.
Toronto area is called GTA (Greater Toronto Area) with a population of 5 million.
Mississauga is just near Toronto, and a great place to live. There are many large coporations' headquarters. There are many office jobs and labor jobs. The city has many new houses and is expanding.

I have to say I havent seen Calgary or Vancouver yet.

c_j_l_1

Oct 3, 2007
Thanks for the info and advice. Are there any other radiographers/medradtechs out there who can share their experiences please?

Clare