+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Where to live in vancouver

Tempestian

Oct 18, 2013
We are a family of three, coming to settle in Vancouver as new immigrants. Can someone kindly tell us that where to rent in Greater Vancouver Area? Our prime concerns are to get living near a sky train station and a good school in vicinity for my 7 years old. We are keeping a budget of 1400 dollars for this. How are the areas of Burnaby, New Westminister and Coquiltam to live.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You also need to consider what type of housing you want to live - detached house, duplex, town homes, condo or apartment.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Tempestian said:
We are a family of three, coming to settle in Vancouver as new immigrants. Can someone kindly tell us that where to rent in Greater Vancouver Area? Our prime concerns are to get living near a sky train station and a good school in vicinity for my 7 years old. We are keeping a budget of 1400 dollars for this. How are the areas of Burnaby, New Westminister and Coquiltam to live.
1. Take a look in Kiiji or Craigslist to see what is available. I wouldn't live around the skytrain stations in Surrey. It will be about another 2 years before the Coquitlam skytrain is complete.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
Tempestian said:
New Westminster is quite a good place to live. Burnaby is quite large, but areas along the Skytrain (Patterson, Metrotown, Royal Oak, and Edmonds) you may be able to get a a basement suite for that price. New Westminster costs around the same, but not many places come up there. You may also check out the high rises and apartments near King George, Surrey Central and Gateway stations in Surrey (Infinity Towers, Park Palace, etc). If you like a good school for your 7 year old, I'd recommend living within the catchment area of New Westminster schools.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PMM said:
Hi

1. Take a look in Kiiji or Craigslist to see what is available. I wouldn't live around the skytrain stations in Surrey. It will be about another 2 years before the Coquitlam skytrain is complete.
But the sky train station at Lougheed Town Centre is still within walking distance from western Coquitlam. You would find many Korean restaurants and shopping.

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
I'm in New West, beautiful location along the river. Potential for real estate to grow, not as expensive as Vancouver. Less people and traffic than Metrotown. Quiet, just the occasional train.

jazibkg

Apr 4, 2014
polara69 said:
I'm in New West, beautiful location along the river. Potential for real estate to grow, not as expensive as Vancouver. Less people and traffic than Metrotown. Quiet, just the occasional train.
And more importantly, the crowd is so much better and well behaved :D

Movado

Jan 25, 2013
Coquitlam, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Wien
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2013
Nomination.....
11-03-2013
AOR Received.
07-06-2013
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
28-11-2014
Passport Req..
11-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
27-02-2015
LANDED..........
27-02-2015
padmapper.com will help you with calculating the budget.

Regarding where to live - it depends on how many cars you plan to have in our family and what type of living preferred - urban style or closer to nature.

If two - I would recommend northern parts of Coquitlam (North to Guildford) - very family friendly areas, a lot of playgrounds, walking trails and no suspicious people around. Breathtaking views from any street.
For 1400 you'll easily rent huge 2BR or 3BR walk-out basement or even an upper floor of a house.

North Van's somewhat similar, but far more expensive.