+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Where to Go after Landing? Help/Advice Needed!

Outbound

Jul 25, 2009
Dear all,

I just got the PR and going to stamp the visa soon, I am planning to land in January in Vancouver via land from the US. I have no one there in Canada that can help me in suggestion like many other immigrants.

My question is where I will go first once I land, hotel will be very expensive, for few days I can stay there but then I have to live on monthly rent basis. I am not sure where to look, I might be moving to Calgary afterward where I wanted to stay.

Are there any websites where I should start looking??

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Outbound said:
Dear all,

I just got the PR and going to stamp the visa soon, I am planning to land in January in Vancouver via land from the US. I have no one there in Canada that can help me in suggestion like many other immigrants.

My question is where I will go first once I land, hotel will be very expensive, for few days I can stay there but then I have to live on monthly rent basis. I am not sure where to look, I might be moving to Calgary afterward where I wanted to stay.

Are there any websites where I should start looking??

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Check out the YWCA http://www.ywcahotel.com/content/Weekly_Rates/962/56/ Reasonable rates for downtown Vancouver. But you know it may be difficult to find any rooms as the Winter Olympics start February 12th.

PMM

C

cchabert

NewYorker said:
Thanks for your replies, looks like who ever you callfrom the rentals, they ask for the job letter or a Bank letter. I am not sure how the new immigrants settle when they don't have anyone there to take care of these matters.

YMCA will not help as they are full already - I will have to stay in a hotel then look for something within a week, I am shipping my stuff from the US, I want to get it delivered in my new place.
Finally got your visa?

xxtinkax

Nov 1, 2009
Try subletting an apartment for a month or two. It will be much cheaper than a hotel. You can find something on craigslist.org or kijiji.com Also you might try to rent something month to month, but than they might want to keep part of security deposit for painting/repairs (landlord will always find something)