AOR Received.
14-04-2013
File Transfer...
16-04-2013
Med's Done....
15-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2013
Hello! I'm new here and my Canadian wife is sponsoring me for permanent residence in Canada. We currently reside in London, UK. I see many different threads and ways of getting information, I am not sure where to begin participating in this wonderful forum though?

I also see lots of acronyms that I don't understand, is there a guide to these somewhere? It's all rather confusing but I'm sure I'll pick it up in no time :)

papirico

Star Member
Mar 17, 2013
How about start by reading from a to z CIC's immigration guides or at the very least Leon's thread atop of this page?.
It's all there.

ToqueEh

May 22, 2013
London, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-03-2013
Doc's Request.
18-06-2013
AOR Received.
14-04-2013
File Transfer...
16-04-2013
Med's Done....
15-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2013
papirico said:
How about start by reading from a to z CIC's immigration guides or at the very least Leon's thread atop of this page?.
It's all there.
Hi Papirico, thanks for your reply. Our application is in process so I can assure you we have read in detail CIC's immigration guides several hundred times :)

I did skim Leon's thread also, and have read it in the past whilst Googling around. It seemed to be all information we're aware of, and doesn't cover any specific forum etiquette here, which is what I was looking for. Apologies if this wasn't clear. I see a thread for London applications but don't see any recent new applications being posted there, so was wondering if there's somewhere else this all goes.

I see by looking around random threads that I need at least 10 posts before I'm able to track dates in my profile.

CdnandTrini

Champion Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visa Office......
Port of Spain
App. Filed.......
Feb. 7, 2013
AOR Received.
Sept. 10, 2013 and "in process" Sept. 24, 2013
File Transfer...
March 28, 2013 (sponsor approval confirmed)
Med's Done....
Jan. 18, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Oct. 7, 2013 - Thank you Jesus!
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 4, 2013 - Thank you Lord
LANDED..........
Dec. 14, 2013 - Praise God. PR Card Feb. 14, 2014
Reply: Where To Begin?

ToqueEh said:
Hi Papirico, thanks for your reply. Our application is in process so I can assure you we have read in detail CIC's immigration guides several hundred times :)

I did skim Leon's thread also, and have read it in the past whilst Googling around. It seemed to be all information we're aware of, and doesn't cover any specific forum etiquette here, which is what I was looking for. Apologies if this wasn't clear. I see a thread for London applications but don't see any recent new applications being posted there, so was wondering if there's somewhere else this all goes.

I see by looking around random threads that I need at least 10 posts before I'm able to track dates in my profile.
Welcome ToqueEh (so very French Canadian expression ;)) and sounds like you are doing a good job so far. Yes you will pick up quickly; however, in the meantime here is some info. below that may help. From a few of my own previous posts, another member's post and my own experiences as a newbie.

Not sure if you know how to navigate these forums or not, I did not when I was new but have since figured a few things out, so in case you don't know:

When you click on a link, you will arrive at another page and the top of that screen (#1) is the oldest post and the highest number (i.e. 2268) will be the most recent post and you can read as much as you want in between. You can also check the dates of the posts at the top (I think).

Most Visa Offices (VOs) have a forum member who tracks and maintains a spreadsheet so people can compare overall timelines and experiences. Have you found yours yet? If not, let me know and I will try to find the link and send it for you.

New members do need 10 posts before they can add in their timeline details, which will show underneath your forum name on the left hand side of the screen. However you can also just type the timeline info. into your message, which is what I did before I had 10 posts. You can also "rate" members posts as plus +1 or minus -1 depending on if they are helpful or not so helpful. You can also report members to the moderator if you see a pattern of escalating poor ettiquette or rude/abusive posts. Yes some people actually do that; however, happy to say most are helpful and supportive.

Ahhhh....yes those Acronyms!! Here is my knowledge to date of the main ones and if I am incorrect, a more senior or knowledgeable member will usually chime in to clarify. Also another forum member (Thanks Mikeramma! +1 for this for sure) did a long list a few years ago (most are still relevant) at the following link: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/immigration-acronyms-t3007.0.html

VO = Visa Office - Note I have also seen the use of VO sometimes to mean Visa Officer, the context of the post will usually allow you to understand if the acronym is being used interchangeably.

IO = Immigration Officer

SA = Sponsorship Application

COPR = Confirmation of Permanent Residence - Official document meaning the applicant (the person being sponsored) has completed the process and has been approved as a permanent resident (PR) and a visa will be issued for them to "land" in Canada.

ARC = If you have been the subject of a removal order from Canada you will probably need an Authorization to Return to Canada (ARC) if you want to return. Whether you need one depends on the type of removal order that was issued. More info. on CIC website.

File x fer = file transfer - I believe this is the date that the Visa office (VO) abroad receives the applicant's physical file from Mississauga Case Processing Centre (CPC)

AOR = Acknowledgemment of Receipt - this usually means that the applicant's file has been transferred from Mississauga CPC and received at whatever visa office (VO) abroad that will be processing the applicant's file.

Case Specific Enquiry (CSE) - If you read many threads you will see that not all visa offices are consistent with the AOR process and many people will send a Case Specific Enquiry (CSE) e-mail to the VO after about 90 days from receiving their sponsorship approval (SA) to make sure that the applicant's file was indeed received.

PPR = Passport request. This means you are near the end of the process (except in the New Delhi Visa Office (NDVO) where for some reason they request the passport very early in the process) and the VO needs the passport of the applicant to ensure there is enough time left for the person to arrange travel to Canada and I believe some VOs staple the visa inside the passport. Not 100% sure if all do this.

Best wishes and many blessings for your journey :).

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
COPR = confirmation of permanent residence ;)The goal!

POE = Port of Entry

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
SMH ....... another one you should also get familiar with while going through this process ;D But, hopefully, you won't be doing many of these :) All the best!

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
papirico said:
It's all there.
Learn to read. He wasn't asking about the process. He was asking about the forums itself....

ToqueEh

May 22, 2013
London, UK
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON, UK
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-03-2013
Doc's Request.
18-06-2013
AOR Received.
14-04-2013
File Transfer...
16-04-2013
Med's Done....
15-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2013
Thanks for the replies, especially CdnandTrini, if I was allowed to, I'd +1 you!

I found a thread in this forum for London VO SAs, but I didn't see anything about a spreadsheet or member from the VO (it does have nearly 700 pages of posts though).

I've gathered all my dates up here(I think?):

I had my medical on 15th Jan 2013
Application sent to Mississauga on 7h March 2013
Confirmed received by Mississauga on 14th March 2013
Sponsorship approved by Mississauga on 16th April 2013
We got a letter confirming this around the same time, and saying the application had been moved to the London office for processing. on the CIC website it says 'Medical Results have been received'. I'm not sure what the next steps are?

muffy1, what does SMH mean?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Now you just wait. If you're lucky the next time you hear from CIC (in 4-6 months hopefully) will be for PPR (Passport Request). That's the step before COPR, when you get your visa to land.

You may get:
- asked for additional documents
- asked for documents you already sent because CIC "never got them" (lost them)
- asked for an interview (rare for a UK citizen)
- asked for intent to settle in Canada
- and if for some reason your process takes too long, you may be asked for new medicals or police certificates, but that hopefully won't happen

Hang in there. Now it's time to sit on our hands and wait! :D

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
ToqueEh said:
Thanks for the replies, especially CdnandTrini, if I was allowed to, I'd +1 you!

I found a thread in this forum for London VO SAs, but I didn't see anything about a spreadsheet or member from the VO (it does have nearly 700 pages of posts though).

We got a letter confirming this around the same time, and saying the application had been moved to the London office for processing. on the CIC website it says 'Medical Results have been received'. I'm not sure what the next steps are?

Sorry, ToqueEh..... SMH means "Shaking my head"....it was an attempt to be funny ;)

CdnandTrini

Champion Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visa Office......
Port of Spain
App. Filed.......
Feb. 7, 2013
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Jan. 18, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........

parker24 said:
Learn to read. He wasn't asking about the process. He was asking about the forums itself....
Have to agree with @Parker's reply to you @Papiricio. It may help your posts become more helpful to others. Isn't that what we are here for?

CdnandTrini

Champion Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visa Office......
Port of Spain
App. Filed.......
Feb. 7, 2013
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Jan. 18, 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........

ToqueEh said:

:) lol....thanks @TouqueEh, you are most welcome. You can come back for my +1!! I will get back to you re: your spreadsheet. In no time at all you will be helping others. Glad you asked muffy1 about the SMH, I did not know that one either. Maybe because I don't text.......yet....

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Re: Reply: Where To Begin?

CdnandTrini said:
:) lol....thanks @ TouqueEh, you are most welcome. You can come back for my +1!! I will get back to you re: your spreadsheet. In no time at all you will be helping others. Glad you asked muffy1 about the SMH, I did not know that one either. Maybe because I don't text.......yet....
I didn't know either. I know what PITA means though, but I can't type it here..... "pain in the...."

Sweden went through the London VO. If there's a spreadsheet, I bet she knows about it.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
I'm totally cheap:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvI5l_hMO7UKdHc2LUJuZ2Itcld2Vk1WR25GeVZxYVE#gid=0

Parker24 has a listing of the Spreadsheets. I checked her list and there it was. Strangely enough, Sweden is listed as the mod of that SS..... hahahaha :D

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
the link is also in my signature! :) come and join us in the UK thread. http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/thread-for-outland-london-uk-applications-t49436.10305.html

there are a few moderators for the spreadsheet ( me included) so if you post in the thread your timeline, one of us wil add you! :) welcome to London VO...
Sweden