+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

where to apply for PR card

can1da

Dec 9, 2009
Hi all,

I am expected to land alongwith my wife and daughter in the second week of January 2010. I have two queries:

1. I am confused in a sense that on CIC website it is written that one must not apply for PR card and immigration officer will fill application forms and send to CIC office himself. On the other hand I also got an information that we need application forms kit by ordering it to our Canadian address.

2. What is the minimum criterion to sustain our permanent residence status before applying for citizenship?

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

can1da said:
Hi all,

I am expected to land alongwith my wife and daughter in the second week of January 2010. I have two queries:

1. I am confused in a sense that on CIC website it is written that one must not apply for PR card and immigration officer will fill application forms and send to CIC office himself. On the other hand I also got an information that we need application forms kit by ordering it to our Canadian address.

2. What is the minimum criterion to sustain our permanent residence status before applying for citizenship?

Thanks
1. For new immigrants it is processed along side the "landing" Only PRs when their cards expire, are required to submit an application.
2. To maintain your PR status you must reside in Canada for 2 years in every 5 year period. To apply for citizenship you are required to reside in Canada for 3 years in the 4 years as of the date of your application.

PMM

can1da

Dec 9, 2009
Thanks for the prompt response.

2nd part requires more clarification.

1- Is it compulsory to stay TWO years (continuous/ intervals) to sustain PR status / renew PR Card or it's transitional status leading to CITIZINSHIP status.

2- If I stay three years continuously after getting PR card, Can I apply for CITIZENSHIP? The "THREE Years time" stay in Canada is pre or post-Application requirement?

Best regards

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

can1da said:
Thanks for the prompt response.

2nd part requires more clarification.

1- Is it compulsory to stay TWO years (continuous/ intervals) to sustain PR status / renew PR Card or it's transitional status leading to CITIZINSHIP status.

2- If I stay three years continuously after getting PR card, Can I apply for CITIZENSHIP? The "THREE Years time" stay in Canada is pre or post-Application requirement?

Best regards
1. From the day you "land" in the next 5 years you must reside in Canada for 2 years, it doesn't have to be continuous. The 5 years period is "rolling".
2. It is from the date of "landing" (there are exceptions for persons who have resided as visitor prior to landing) so if you "landed" and never left Canada, you could apply on the 3rd anniversary for citizenship.

PMM

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
can1da said:
Yes, it is compulsory. You must stay in Canada for 2 out of every 5 years as a PR, or your status will be lost.