+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Where do I renew my PR card?

Heidif

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
Hello, I noticed in my search to know how to renew my PR that I have to submit it online. I don't have the facilities and would like to submit it in person. Where do I go?

Thank you.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Did you apply for citizenship already? If so nope You don't need a PR card unless You want to travel. PR card is not the same as PR status.
Not sure what you are trying to say. Whether the person has applied for citizenship already has zero to do with the situation.

Heidif

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
Hello,

I just read that to renew your Permanent Resident Card, you need to have done this if it has already expired or will expire within 9 months. I'm holding a Permanent Resident Card which has expired in 2015. I didn't have the chance to renew it because I was mentally unstable during several years. But I was able to return in 2017 via a Travel Document.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hello,

I just read that to renew your Permanent Resident Card, you need to have done this if it has already expired or will expire within 9 months. I'm holding a Permanent Resident Card which has expired in 2015. I didn't have the chance to renew it because I was mentally unstable during several years. But I was able to return in 2017 via a Travel Document.
You can still renew card even if has expired as long as you can show in the application that you meet the residency obligation of residing in Canada for 2 years in the 5 years prior to the application date.

You do not need to maintain a valid card as a mandatory requirement unless you intend to travel outside of Canada but most people keep a card valid just in case to avoid the hassle of applying for a PRTD from outside of the country in order to be able to return on a plane. Having a valid card can be useful when dealing with some government agencies and even employers sometimes but not mandatory.

There are people who for whatever reason never renew their cards as they have no intention of travelling and having a valid card has nothing to do with PR status. Why these people do not apply for citizenship is a different debate.

Last edited:

Heidif

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
You can still renew card even if has expired as long as you can show in the application that you meet the residency obligation of residing in Canada for 2 years in the 5 years prior to the application date.

You do not need to maintain a valid card as a mandatory requirement unless you intend to travel outside of Canada but most people keep a card valid just in case to avoid the hassle of applying for a PRTD from outside of the country in order to be able to return on a plane. Having a valid card can be useful when dealing with some government agencies and even employers sometimes but not mandatory.

There are people who for whatever reason never renew their cards as they have no intention of travelling and having a valid card has nothing to do with PR status. Why these people do not apply for citizenship is a different debate.
Thank you so much. So if I renew my card right now I will be accepted?

Heidif

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
Hello,
I am applying for a new PR and my Egyptian passport is about to expire this October 2019. Would I still be eligible for applying for a new Permanent Resident Card? Note, I am currently inside Canada. Or should I wait until I renew my passport?
Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
I am applying for a new PR and my Egyptian passport is about to expire this October 2019. Would I still be eligible for applying for a new Permanent Resident Card? Note, I am currently inside Canada. Or should I wait until I renew my passport?
Thank you.
They are not related. I hope you have addressed all your tax issues once you were lucky enough to receive 2 PRTDs.

Heidif

Star Member
Oct 5, 2015
I have not addressed any tax issues. Will it affect the acceptance of issuing the permanent resident card?