+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When will I get my PR status

Mar 11, 2023
So my company has applied myself and my family for Canada PR. Its been around 7 months now. What I want to know is
  • As our PR application is already submitted around 7 months back, when the application is approved ( my assumption it would take 2,3 months ), would I get the PR status and the PR card once the application is approved?
  • Secondly, would I be bound to stay in Canada for 2 years once I get the PR status?
  • Lastly, as currently my company has not moved us, would I be able to work for any other company once I get my PR status?
I am trying to understand what are my possibilities when I get my PR status and if my company do not move me to Canada as per current status.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So my company has applied myself and my family for Canada PR. Its been around 7 months now. What I want to know is
  • As our PR application is already submitted around 7 months back, when the application is approved ( my assumption it would take 2,3 months ), would I get the PR status and the PR card once the application is approved?
  • Secondly, would I be bound to stay in Canada for 2 years once I get the PR status?
  • Lastly, as currently my company has not moved us, would I be able to work for any other company once I get my PR status?
I am trying to understand what are my possibilities when I get my PR status and if my company do not move me to Canada as per current status.
- You will get PR status after your application is approved and you land in Canada and become a PR. The PR card will be mailed to you a few weeks or months after landing.
- After you become a PR, you must live in Canada for two out of every five years to keep your PR status.
- You can work for any employer once you are a PR.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As @scylla mentioned, you will need to live in Canada for 2 years. You could leave Canada as soon as you have PR for up to three years and return and would still meet the Residency Obigation (R.O.) to maintain your status.

The `2 years' (1095 days) does not have to be consecutive days, just 2 out of each rolling 5 year period. Make sure to record every exit/entry from/to Canada (for all family members that will be a PR) because when it's time to apply to renew your PR Card, you/they will need accurate Travel History for the application.