+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When will I become ineligible for STEM category based invites?

dh627

Jan 19, 2023
Hi,

I last worked as one of the NOC's eligible for the STEM category based invites from July 20th 2020 - May 23rd 2021, meaning that the last time I had 6 months continuously was November 23rd & May 23rd.

I originally thought I would be eligible for this until November 23rd 2023 - which is technically correct, I will have had 6 months worth of experience in the past 3 years up until that date, however, I remembered that work experience is counted by the month on my Express Entry profile.

If for example there was a STEM round next week & the score was low enough for my current score, does anyone know if I would be invited based off of the dates I have mentioned above?

I also have 2 months as a software developer in March - May 2022, but since this isn't continuous then this won't count, right?

Thanks

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Hi,

I last worked as one of the NOC's eligible for the STEM category based invites from July 20th 2020 - May 23rd 2021, meaning that the last time I had 6 months continuously was November 23rd & May 23rd.

I originally thought I would be eligible for this until November 23rd 2023 - which is technically correct, I will have had 6 months worth of experience in the past 3 years up until that date, however, I remembered that work experience is counted by the month on my Express Entry profile.

If for example there was a STEM round next week & the score was low enough for my current score, does anyone know if I would be invited based off of the dates I have mentioned above?

I also have 2 months as a software developer in March - May 2022, but since this isn't continuous then this won't count, right?

Thanks
IRCC will give you one month in advance. You've two months to submit your PR application, wait for another month if you get an ITA and then apply.

dh627

Jan 19, 2023
IRCC will give you one month in advance. You've two months to submit your PR application, wait for another month if you get an ITA and then apply.
I don't know what you mean sorry. Why would I need to wait a month to apply? What do you mean they'll give me one month in advance?

I'm asking when the system will cut me off from considering me to have met the eligibility criteria for a category based round where the requirement is to have 6 months of experience in the past 3 years in a specific NOC job.

I last had 6 months of continuous experience in a STEM job between November 23rd 2020 - May 23rd 2021. As of November 24th, I will no longer meet that criteria as it'll be longer than 3 years since I last had 6 months worth of experience in that job. But when would the system that sends out invites determine that I'm ineligible?

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't know what you mean sorry, I think you might've misinterpreted my question. Why would I need to wait a month to apply? What do you mean they'll give me one month in advance?

I'm asking when the system will cut me off from considering me to have met the eligibility criteria for a category based round where the requirement is to have 6 months of experience in the past 3 years in a specific NOC job.

I last had 6 months of continuous experience in a STEM job between November 23rd 2020 - May 23rd 2021. As of November 24th, I will no longer meet that criteria as it'll be longer than 3 years since I last had 6 months worth of experience in that job. But when would the system that sends out invites determine that I'm ineligible?
To the best of my knowledge you need to have the six months at the time you submit your complete application after you get ITA. So you would need to get ITA and submit your complete application before Nov 23, 2023.

Reactions: dh627 and Naturgrl

dh627

Jan 19, 2023
I spoke briefly with a lawyer about this (who is now away) and she said:

You must have 6 continuous months worth of experience in the past 3 years. As of today (October 30th, when I asked) that would be Dec 2020 to Nov 2023. They only calculate it in months.

It seems based on this that I wouldn't actually be eligible if IRCC start counting back 3 years from the next month (e.g. Nov 2023) - even though technically I am eligible.

Based on what she said, it sounds like as of November 2023 they would consider 3 years ago to be January 2021.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I spoke briefly with a lawyer about this (who is now away) and she said:

You must have 6 continuous months worth of experience in the past 3 years. As of today (October 30th, when I asked) that would be Dec 2020 to Nov 2023. They only calculate it in months.

It seems based on this that I wouldn't actually be eligible if IRCC start counting back 3 years from the next month (e.g. Nov 2023) - even though technically I am eligible.

Based on what she said, it sounds like as of November 2023 they would consider 3 years ago to be January 2021.
Sounds like you have your answer then.

Who knows what the chances of another STEM draw soon are anyway. I would be exploring other options and not counting on that. What's your EE score?

Any chance of finding a STEM job again so that you can get more recent experience?

dh627

Jan 19, 2023
Sounds like you have your answer then.

Who knows what the chances of another STEM draw soon are anyway. I would be exploring other options and not counting on that. What's your EE score?

Any chance of finding a STEM job again so that you can get more recent experience?
Well it's completely absurd though if that's the case, because if a draw happens between now and November 23rd and the score is low enough for me and I don't get invited then that's just ridiculous, because I will have 6 months of experience within the past 3 years, which is the requirement that they advertise, but their stupidly designed system doesn't truly allow for that requirement.

I had totally given up hope on STEM but the latest healthcare round gave me a bit of hope. My EE score is 478, just lost 5 points because of my birthday. I applied to PNP as a last resort but really don't want to stay in my job much longer.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Well it's completely absurd though if that's the case, because if a draw happens between now and November 23rd and the score is low enough for me and I don't get invited then that's just ridiculous, because I will have 6 months of experience within the past 3 years, which is the requirement that they advertise, but their stupidly designed system doesn't truly allow for that requirement.

I had totally given up hope on STEM but the latest healthcare round gave me a bit of hope. My EE score is 478, just lost 5 points because of my birthday. I applied to PNP as a last resort but really don't want to stay in my job much longer.
Maybe there will be a STEM draw and you get an invitation. You would have to apply/submit before November 23 to lock in your experience.

Sarunppillai

May 31, 2020
Same question here my work experience is from march 2019 to march 2021 , so will i be eligible for getting an invitation

habibi007

Star Member
Aug 25, 2023
Hey. This is what I read on official website

"To qualify in an occupation-based category, applicants must have accumulated, over a continuous period, at least six months of full-time work experience, or the equivalent in part-time work within the three-year period preceding the time the ITA was sent and at the time the e-APR was received in one of the occupations indicated in the specific ministerial instructions respecting invitations to apply for permanent residence under the Express Entry system for their round."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/assessing-electronic-application-on-section-a11-2.html#lang

As per this I think they start counting from the date; the day before you get ITA and also the work eligibility should stay valid until the final submission of application. I have the same question. Last experience that I submitted in my ee profile ends on 30th Nov 2021.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey. This is what I read on official website

"To qualify in an occupation-based category, applicants must have accumulated, over a continuous period, at least six months of full-time work experience, or the equivalent in part-time work within the three-year period preceding the time the ITA was sent and at the time the e-APR was received in one of the occupations indicated in the specific ministerial instructions respecting invitations to apply for permanent residence under the Express Entry system for their round."

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/assessing-electronic-application-on-section-a11-2.html#lang

As per this I think they start counting from the date; the day before you get ITA and also the work eligibility should stay valid until the final submission of application. I have the same question. Last experience that I submitted in my ee profile ends on 30th Nov 2021.
What matters is when your last six months of experience started. The entire six months of work experience must fall within the last three years. So that would mean that you need to receive ITA and eAPR before May 2024 to qualify.

Reactions: habibi007

habibi007

Star Member
Aug 25, 2023
What matters is when your last six months of experience started. The entire six months of work experience must fall within the last three years. So that would mean that you need to receive ITA and eAPR before May 2024 to qualify.
To be exact as per my work experience, I'm eligible till before 30th/31st May, right?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

habibi007

Star Member
Aug 25, 2023
Yes, that's correct.
Hey, I just realized, that while creating EE profile, they don't ask for the specific dates you worked (from - to), only months are entered, can you clarify how they calculate the past 3 years? the month my last experience ended is Nov 2021. Apologies for the misunderstanding before.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hey, I just realized, that while creating EE profile, they don't ask for the specific dates you worked (from - to), only months are entered, can you clarify how they calculate the past 3 years? the month my last experience ended is Nov 2021. Apologies for the misunderstanding before.
When they process you application they will calculate to the day. The EE tool does it by months but actual processing calculates it to the day.