+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When to start Applying for Job??? (Application in Progress)

sama2

Jun 14, 2017
My husband's application to be sponsored by me (a Canadian citizen) is in progress and hopefully within four-five months (maybe even sooner) we will have an answer and get his PR visa.

However, when should be (could we?) start applying for jobs in Canada for him?
Are we able to apply while his status is pending/processing his application?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My husband's application to be sponsored by me (a Canadian citizen) is in progress and hopefully within four-five months (maybe even sooner) we will have an answer and get his PR visa.

He can apply for jobs whenever he wants. However, as he doesn't know when he will actually be approved for PR, most employers are unlikely to consider him until he has the right to work in Canada.

Reactions: sama2

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

He should start applying soon. The search alone can take a while, setting aside considerations for the point in the job search when a company might seriously start considering you and your work status would be relevant.

What @canuck_in_uk said is true, but in my experience if you are the right person (i.e. best fit) then a company will wait for your status and in some rare cases sponsor you with LMIA (irrelevant for PR applicants unless you need the points). I know a fellow who applied to a large information and technology company in Canada and was given an offer conditional on satisfying PR status. It's possible.

Reactions: sama2

sama2

Jun 14, 2017
He should start applying soon. The search alone can take a while, setting aside considerations for the point in the job search when a company might seriously start considering you and your work status would be relevant.

What @canuck_in_uk said is true, but in my experience if you are the right person (i.e. best fit) then a company will wait for your status and in some rare cases sponsor you with LMIA (irrelevant for PR applicants unless you need the points). I know a fellow who applied to a large information and technology company in Canada and was given an offer conditional on satisfying PR status. It's possible.
I really appreciate your reply. I definitely will start applying sooner rather than later (what have we got to lose?) and it's great to hear that it's possible. Thank you!

edluyando

Star Member
Mar 27, 2016
Houston, TX
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Houston
NOC Code......
2145/0211
App. Filed.......
28-06-2016
Doc's Request.
18-07-2016
Med's Request
10-05-2017
Med's Done....
15-05-2017
Hi to you all,
Me and my wife already submitted our documentation to IRCC after getting CIC ITA, now we are waiting for the processing time, which could be 4-6 months according to recent posts. So, here is the question:

Once we get the visa stamped in our passports, is it possible to apply for jobs before landing in Canada? Our plan is to land around July 2018 (when there is a decent weather out there), We understand that we could have better chances if we are physically there, however, we would like to know if is it worth it to apply for jobs while we are getting ready to settle in Canada.

Your feedback is appreciated,