+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When to Start Applying? (Federal Self-Employed PR Stream)

typeaimages

Star Member
Apr 1, 2020
We are applying for PR through the Federal self-employed stream. I am the self-employed applicant and my husband works in higher education tech (e-learning/distance learning...so he's SUPER in-demand right now with all the COVID stuff). We are unsure WHEN we should start applying for jobs for him? Do we wait until the PR is granted and take our chances in the time between being granted PR and landing....or can we start applying AHEAD of being granted PR but after, say, getting our medicals done? I just want to give it enough time for him to hopefully find something.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We are applying for PR through the Federal self-employed stream. I am the self-employed applicant and my husband works in higher education tech (e-learning/distance learning...so he's SUPER in-demand right now with all the COVID stuff). We are unsure WHEN we should start applying for jobs for him? Do we wait until the PR is granted and take our chances in the time between being granted PR and landing....or can we start applying AHEAD of being granted PR but after, say, getting our medicals done? I just want to give it enough time for him to hopefully find something.
Wait until your PR application is approved.

Medical are extremely early in the process and you'll have a fairly long wait between medicals and final approval.

Processing time for the self-employed stream is around 1.5 to 2 years. So no point applying early. Employers aren't going to wait that long.

Reactions: typeaimages