+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When to report at Port of Entry?

darkwhite

May 9, 2022
Hello,

I have received my Study Permit and Correspondence letter. My medical exam validity is expiring in July 2022.
And I have my University program starting in September 2022.

Can I report at the Port of Entry in July 2022?
Some people mentioned the immigration officer from Canada Border Service Agency would find it unusual to report so early and might reject entry.

Sorry for the silly question and thanks for taking the time and help me solve my doubt.

Tboi25

May 7, 2022
Hello Dark white,

I have the exact same dilemma and I’ve been looking here to get an answer.

my resumption is for September 2022 but I have booked a ticket for July 2022. I’ll be going to PACE winnipeg for theMarketing management program. I had gotten my visa since last year November as well.

JuhatmaRhdn

Star Member
Nov 1, 2021
Although there are no rule against arriving to Canada more than the recommended 4 weeks prior of the start date of your studies, you will be questioned about it and you better have a satisfactory answer. The CBSA agent are trying to find out if you have discretionary reason (or mandatory) to be there so early. If they deem you do, and you have all the required documentation to support your claim, then there is a good chance that you can cross.

Also remember that is against the conditions of your study permit to work before your classes start, so they will inquire heavily about your funds to support yourself those extra months without being able to work. They want to make sure you don't engage in illegal work so make sure your funds are more than enough if you are going to attempt an early journey.

Reactions: wonderbly