+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When to get foreign education recognized?

BossJosh

Star Member
Jun 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey guys Im an American citizen, being sponsored by my wife to move in to Canada, Stage 2 is already in progress. I have several degrees from my local university and college, here in California, I was wondering if i should get my education assessed and recognized now for Canadian employment? Is this even a necessary step for me, since Im from a Visa exempt country? I got a lot of time on my hands now, id rather get everything prepared now, so that when I land, ill be with my wife and ready to work. I have my degrees yet no real world experience so Im not sure what ill actually be doing there, yet im just being prepared now. Thankyou.

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
25-02-2013 DM....:20-06-2013 IN CANADA SINCE:...2008
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
Probably won`t be a bad idea. Since assessment processing takes about 10-12 weeks. I used IQAS (International qualifications assessment services.)
Btw there is a different governing body that processes the credentials in each province. This is for Alberta.
I will use it for school as well as for jobs applications.(a more professional field, rather than low-skilled jobs.) I think it`s not really a big hit since it`s only $110 dollars. I guess depending on the service fee of that province. Much better to have it now rather than having a problem about it right before having to start a job. I believe that it used to be not such a big deal to employer. But lately it has been a trend that employers ask for an international credentials assessment just to be sure if a person`s credential is actually genuine. (This is according to my colleague, but who knows. Each employer might be different.)

Anyways the field you are in have associations for example an engineer that has APEGA. Almost all if not all employers require that they be a member of it and APEGA requires an assessment of internationally educated applicant`s education in order to be accepted.

So you might want to look into that as well.

Goodluck!

BossJosh

Star Member
Jun 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Awe wow, ok i will get started on that right away then. Im not sure of what i want to do, but i will figure this out as i get there. Then once i do that, i wil join one of the associations that you speak of. So much work, but I have to get it done. $110 is not that bad at all, just glad its not another thousand like the sponsorship. Im headed for British Columbia, Ill go on there website and check it out, Thankyou so much for clarifying this.

marsiangal

Feb 15, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Request
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
25-02-2013 DM....:20-06-2013 IN CANADA SINCE:...2008
LANDED..........
21-08-2013
Yes it is not bad at all. I was glad too cause too much money has been spent. lol.
And when will all this waiting be done. haha.
Anyways. Goodluck to you! :)

BossJosh

Star Member
Jun 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
marsiangal said:
Yes it is not bad at all. I was glad too cause too much money has been spent. lol.
And when will all this waiting be done. haha.
Anyways. Goodluck to you! :)
Yeah thats true, I just hope my degree is worth something up there, I started another topic on that, cause my friend was saying not to even bother with it. Im already on my way up there though, so I will have to do this step regardless, it should at least count for something. I just hope my friend is wrong in some way or fashion. Otherwise ill be better off in the US, and i will have to sponsor her here as well. I wont believe the hype till i get some real answers. Thankyou for helping me.

kavitha1

Star Member
Sep 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
12-09-2013
Med's Done....
30-07-2013 (done before submission), re-medical Nov 10, 2014
Passport Req..
January 7th 2013
VISA ISSUED...
in process since (June 20th 2014)- Decision Made- March-07-2015
LANDED..........
received passport back with VISA- March 20th 2015
WES is approved for all education and jobs in Canada and US.

World education services go for this