+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When to apply for PR extension?

IvanVano

Aug 29, 2017
Hi! I'm permanent resident since may 2016, my pr card expires in July 2021. I will meet pr residency obligation in November because I travelled a lot. When it is reasonable to apply for PR card extension in order to get it before the current one expires and taking into account current delays? Is it better to wait till may 2021 and apply after full 5 years of my pr status in Canada or is it ok to apply in a couple of weeks when I accomplish 730 days in Canada or maybe I should pend 730+ some period of extra time so the application looks better with a stock of about 30-50 extra days? Thanks

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
ONLY apply if you meet (plus some extra days) RO. 730 days in the pervious 5 years.
Do not apply before that because the renewal of the PR card (not PR extension) will be determined on the number of days when the application is signed and submitted.

If you plan to travel, try not to and/or be prepared to travel and stay out longer for each trip in case you need to wait and apply for PRTD.

IvanVano

Aug 29, 2017
ONLY apply if you meet (plus some extra days) RO. 730 days in the pervious 5 years.
Do not apply before that because the renewal of the PR card (not PR extension) will be determined on the number of days when the application is signed and submitted.

If you plan to travel, try not to and/or be prepared to travel and stay out longer for each trip in case you need to wait and apply for PRTD.
How many extra days will be enough? Will 1-2 month be ok? After I apply for PR card extension, will I be able to travel with my current card before it expires?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
How many extra days will be enough? Will 1-2 month be ok? After I apply for PR card extension, will I be able to travel with my current card before it expires?
I think if you are pretty sure with your tracking of previous travel days, then 1 month or so extra time is good.
You can still travel with PR card before expiry (as long as you still meet RO) but be prepared to not have a valid card while waiting for the renewal to be processed.

IvanVano

Aug 29, 2017
I think if you are pretty sure with your tracking of previous travel days, then 1 month or so extra time is good.
You can still travel with PR card before expiry (as long as you still meet RO) but be prepared to not have a valid card while waiting for the renewal to be processed.
Sorry for that, but could you please clarify. If I submit documents to renew my pr card, I'll be free to travel while waiting with an old one until it expires?

IndianBos

Oct 8, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-Jun-2014
Nomination.....
16-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
11-Dec-2014
Med's Request
24-Apr-2015 (Delayed for adding a child)
Med's Done....
9-May-2015 (Updated 29-May-2015)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-Jun-2015 (mailed 29-June-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
11-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
7-Sep-2015
You are fine to travel till your PR card expires. You dont submit your original PR card while waiting for renewal. Just make sure that you meet residency obligation when you submit PR Renewal application.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Sorry for that, but could you please clarify. If I submit documents to renew my pr card, I'll be free to travel while waiting with an old one until it expires?
You can travel with your PR card until it's expired. (renewal applicant doesn't affect your current PR card)