+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When to apply for PR card renewal

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
Hello I will complete my RO requirements at the end of April 2024. Can I apply for PR card renewal in February 2024 ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello I will complete my RO requirements at the end of April 2024. Can I apply for PR card renewal in February 2024 ?
You can. Question is whether it's a good idea.

1) If you have been outside of Canada less than 1095 days since you first landed (in 2019 I saw from another thread?), you can apply, because you are still compliant. Yes, even if you have not yet accumulated the fully 730 days in Canada yet. You could even apply earlier if less than nine months to expiry of PR card.

2) BUT: it may still be better to wait and apply once you have those 730 days (plus some buffer, like 15-30 days). Why better? It might take less time overall to get the card, even if you have to wait to apply a few months. Given that it's only a couple months extra to wait to apply, that might be the more prudent move.

Hard to say. Partly depends whether you need to travel earlier, but again - one can only guess which route might be quicker.

3) If you have been out of Canada more than 1095 days since first landing - definitely wait to apply, since out of compliance. Much, much higher risk of delay in getting your card back, and some risk of having issues for non-compliance.

Last edited:

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
You can. Question is whether it's a good idea.

1) If you have been outside of Canada less than 1095 days since you first landed (in 2019 I saw from another thread?), you can apply, because you are still compliant. Yes, even if you have not yet accumulated the fully 730 days in Canada yet. You could even apply earlier if less than nine months to expiry of PR card.

2) BUT: it may still be better to wait and apply once you have those 730 days (plus some buffer, like 15-30 days). Why better? It might take less time overall to get the card, even if you have to wait to apply a few months. Given that it's only a couple months extra to wait to apply, that might be the more prudent move.

Hard to say. Partly depends whether you need to travel earlier, but again - one can only guess which route might be quicker.

3) If you have been out of Canada more than 1095 days since first landing - definitely wait to apply, since out of compliance. Much, much higher risk of delay in getting your card back, and some risk of having issues for non-compliance.
Thank u so much for the detailed answer. God bless u

Reactions: armoured