+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When to Apply for PR Card Renewal?

Bob McKenzie

May 17, 2015
Hi All:

PR card issued July, 2011, but did not move to Canada until 2014. I will reach my 730 day RO requirement in ~April 2016 and my PR card expires in July 2016.

As I understand it, a PR may apply for renewal 6 months prior to expiration. Also, no adverse consequences to renewing any time after expiration as long as PR does not leave Canada in the interim (please let me know if either of these assumptions is not correct).

Just a couple of questions about timing for renewal of PR card:

1. If I applied for renewal in January or February of 2016, would my application be rejected automatically as I would not yet have reached the required 730 days or would they take into account that I would be able to reach 730 before expiration? The reason I am considering applying early is so that I would be able to travel in summer 2016.
2. OR, since I will be cutting it fairly close on the 730 days, would it be advisable to remain in Canada through summer 2016 and wait a couple of months after expiration to apply for renewal in case there is any dispute regarding my time in Canada (NOTE: all my entries were land crossings).
3. How long does renewal typically take from the time the application is sent?

Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
Bob McKenzie said:
Hi All:

PR card issued July, 2011, but did not move to Canada until 2014. I will reach my 730 day RO requirement in ~April 2016 and my PR card expires in July 2016.

As I understand it, a PR may apply for renewal 6 months prior to expiration. Also, no adverse consequences to renewing any time after expiration as long as PR does not leave Canada in the interim (please let me know if either of these assumptions is not correct).
At most you could be inconvenienced if PR Card is required for identification purposes and you don't have a valid one. I'm taking the CELPIP test today and will have to use my foreign passport for that, and also I applied for BCeID account and was told at the point of service that my identity could not be verified with an expired PR Card. Other than that, I've never had any issues. My card has been expired since December last year. In any case, you may legally stay in Canada with an expired PR Card.

Bob McKenzie said:
Just a couple of questions about timing for renewal of PR card:

1. If I applied for renewal in January or February of 2016, would my application be rejected automatically as I would not yet have reached the required 730 days or would they take into account that I would be able to reach 730 before expiration? The reason I am considering applying early is so that I would be able to travel in summer 2016.
If you'll reach the 730-day requirement in April, don't apply in February. When sending out the application you have to demonstrate that, when you sign the form, you already are in compliance with this basic requirement. It's irrelevant that you'll have met it afterwards.

Bob McKenzie said:
2. OR, since I will be cutting it fairly close on the 730 days, would it be advisable to remain in Canada through summer 2016 and wait a couple of months after expiration to apply for renewal in case there is any dispute regarding my time in Canada (NOTE: all my entries were land crossings).
While you can technically apply once you meet the 730 days, I've observed a lot of people here having issues with having sent days or a few weeks after meeting the basic requirement. IMHO, waiting longer would be better.

Bob McKenzie said:
3. How long does renewal typically take from the time the application is sent?

Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.
Processing time is currently 68 days. They're taking care of applications up to March 30, 2015 now. You should check this page: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-card.asp

Bob McKenzie

May 17, 2015
Hello MiriamT:

Thanks very much for your advice and the link to the processing time.

Anyone else have any other thoughts on this?

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bob McKenzie said:
Hello MiriamT:

Thanks very much for your advice and the link to the processing time.

Anyone else have any other thoughts on this?
MiriamT covered the subject comprehensively.