+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When to apply for Ontario Works

fotjon

Star Member
Sep 5, 2016
Category........
FSW
As a single Express Entry applicant with minimum requirement of 12.500$ as proof of funds, when is the time I should apply for Ontario Works, if I am still unemployed?

Is it 6 months after landing (in GTA) or even before? I can't seem to find a definitive answer online.

Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You'll have to. show that you are actively seeking out employment even if it is not in your field. You will have to exhaust most of your savings not just limited to what you have in Canadian dollars. You will be asked questions like do you own property. You are MUCH better off taking a minimum wage job.

fotjon

Star Member
Sep 5, 2016
Category........
FSW
I think I qualify for all that you mentioned. And its something temporary I don't plan living on that. Otherwise I would have to leave.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You'll have to make an appointment and see whether you qualify and at what point. Think you should go to a career centre because if you are in IT you should be able to find a position even if it is entry level to sustain you until you find something better.

fotjon

Star Member
Sep 5, 2016
Category........
FSW
I have tried for 3 months only for entry level and have also been in career centers during that time. I need some more months to rebuild my skills I think.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have tried for 3 months only for entry level and have also been in career centers during that time. I need some more months to rebuild my skills I think.
If you only arrived 3 months ago and you are single not sure you will have access to Ontario works. You should have enough funds left over for at least a few more months.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you need to go back to school you need to take out a student loan. You don't usually receive welfare at the same time.

vjosi

Jun 23, 2017
tirane
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Rome
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-12-2017
Passport Req..
04-06-2018
LANDED..........
18-10-2018
Following. I have heard that somebody was qualified after only 1 month, somebody else after 3 months. Facing same difficulties finding a job here.

fotjon

Star Member
Sep 5, 2016
Category........
FSW
I applied online after 6 months, had to show few papers (bank account statements, rent, etc) but the decision was immediate after the meeting with the case worker. I received the first deposit just 2 days latter.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Following. I have heard that somebody was qualified after only 1 month, somebody else after 3 months. Facing same difficulties finding a job here.
Newcomers are required to arrive with a certain amount of settlement funds for a reason. I find it hard to imagine they qualified after 1-3 months unless they were committing fraud and not showing their bank accounts or did not arrive with the accurate funds.

Last edited:

vjosi

Jun 23, 2017
tirane
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Rome
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
01-12-2017
Passport Req..
04-06-2018
LANDED..........
18-10-2018
Newcomers are required to arrive with a certain amount of settlement funds for a reason. I find it hard to imagine they qualified after 1-3 months unless they were committing fraud and not showing their bank accounts or did not arrive with the accurate funds.
With all due respect for this forum and its participants who helped me a lot during my application process, let's not jump to conclusion about fraud so quickly. The hard truth is that the prediction the government has made about the expenses is not a true reflection of we really spend during these months, especially in TORONTO. Lets consider housing when with no guarantor you are required to pay 6 months or a year in advance and a lot of other very high prices such as insurance for car, G tests and so on and so on

fotjon

Star Member
Sep 5, 2016
Category........
FSW
Maybe it also depends on which program someone qualified. For FSW certainly you are expected to have those funds you declared as part of your application, which are supposed to last you around 6 months (though I still can not find the 6 months period mentioned in CIC website). In Quebec program I think you can qualify after 3 months, because a single applicant need to prove he own just ~3500$ as part of the application.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
With all due respect for this forum and its participants who helped me a lot during my application process, let's not jump to conclusion about fraud so quickly. The hard truth is that the prediction the government has made about the expenses is not a true reflection of we really spend during these months, especially in TORONTO. Lets consider housing when with no guarantor you are required to pay 6 months or a year in advance and a lot of other very high prices such as insurance for car, G tests and so on and so on
To be fair I would expect people to do their research in advance and make sure they had the funds to survive for 6 months in their chosen city. Perhaps arrive without their family to find employment. Not sure most would prioritize car insurance or vehicle purchase without finding a job first. Many in Toronto rely on public transportation especially if car insurance is so expensive. Immigrating to another country only then apply for welfare in a month doesn't make sense (for Canada or immigrant) and most immigrants would never consider it. Even in Quebec you shouldn't have spent $3500 in 1 month and not be able to pay for your basic living. Welfare will not go far in Toronto so you would be better off working a minimum wage job while you look for opportunities.

Reactions: Melchett

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Maybe it also depends on which program someone qualified. For FSW certainly you are expected to have those funds you declared as part of your application, which are supposed to last you around 6 months (though I still can not find the 6 months period mentioned in CIC website). In Quebec program I think you can qualify after 3 months, because a single applicant need to prove he own just ~3500$ as part of the application.
In general whether immigrants or Canadians moving to another city, make sure to research the cost of living in that location before moving and live simply until you find employment. Not accusing anyone on this thread but I see so many people on this forum who have done no research in advance. Lots that have over researched as well. I have literally seen doctors about to move to Canada who haven't realized that barely any foreign doctors get licensed in Canada.