+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When is the appropriate time to apply for citizenship?

Mar 24, 2015
My wife and daughter will live in Canada for 4 years in Aug/2016. Can they apply for citizenship now or they need to wait until they physically stay in Canada for 4 years and then apply? My understanding is that it will take a very long time to process the application for citizenship.
Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - they can't apply now. Yes - of course they need to wait until they have physically lived in Canada for 4 out of the last 6 years before they apply. If they apply early - they will be refused.

Mar 24, 2015
Hi
Thanks for your kind advice.

Based upon the current procedures & number of applicants, how long it takes for my wife and daughter to get their Canadian passports if they apply this Aug/2016?

Thanks

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
englishpatient2006 said:
Hi
Thanks for your kind advice.

Based upon the current procedures & number of applicants, how long it takes for my wife and daughter to get their Canadian passports if they apply this Aug/2016?

Thanks
Nobody can say. CIC has promised to reduce processing times on routine applications to one year. They have made no such promise for applications they deem to be non-routine for whatever reason. Good Luck!

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
englishpatient2006 said:
My wife and daughter will live in Canada for 4 years in Aug/2016. Can they apply for citizenship now or they need to wait until they physically stay in Canada for 4 years and then apply? My understanding is that it will take a very long time to process the application for citizenship.
Thanks
Per new rules, applicants are eligible ONLY after they physically lived SIX years in Canada. Out of those 6 years, should have physically lived in Canada for total 1460 days.

For example you want to apply today, you should have arrived in Canada on 13th Jan 2010 as a landed immigrant and physically lived in Canada for minimum 1460 days.

I strongly recommend, worth waiting an extra month or so after you completed 1460 days to avoid any calculation errors.

Dont ever do the mistake of submitting applications even one day less than the required 1460 days.

Due to my attorney's blunder, I had undergone the torture and DONT want anyone else to do similar mistake. Cheers !!!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Canadiandesi2006 said:
Per new rules, applicants are eligible ONLY after they physically lived SIX years in Canada. Out of those 6 years, should have physically lived in Canada for total 1460 days.
A PR does NOT need to be a PR for six years. Four years plus a day is sufficient.

A PR can be eligible for citizenship four years and one day after landing, and the PR meets the physical presence requirement if the PR never left Canada during those four years and a day.

Place of residence does not count for much. PR status plus physical presence is what counts. (Recognizing that there are additional requirements of course, ranging from language and knowledge of Canada to meeting CRA filing obligations.)

For PRs with absences: best to just go to the government's website and the physical presence calculator, and plug in dates.

tarikMontreal

Mar 22, 2015
Canadiandesi2006 said:
For example you want to apply today, you should have arrived in Canada on 13th Jan 2010 as a landed immigrant and physically lived in Canada for minimum 1460 days.
THAT STATEMENT IS FALSE BE CAREFUL OF THIS USER

misha0201

Dec 15, 2015
Canadiandesi2006 said:

I strongly recommend, worth waiting an extra month or so after you completed 1460 days to avoid any calculation errors.

Dont ever do the mistake of submitting applications even one day less than the required 1460 days.

Due to my attorney's blunder, I had undergone the torture and DONT want anyone else to do similar mistake. Cheers !!!

Actually no. He should have arrived on Jan 13th 2012 as a landed immigrant (permanent resident), without leaving the country a single day. But i have the impression that englishpatient2006 doesn't get it...

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
tarikMontreal said:
THAT STATEMENT IS FALSE BE CAREFUL OF THIS USER

First of all, learn good manner when you put comments. Better mind your language at least when you are on public forums.

There was no need to accuse me of something. I'm on this forum for over 4 years and you barely posted 11 comments so far, may be 2 liners in capital letters which tell lot about you.

I'm reminded of great philosopher Kalil Gibran's saying "Open your mouth, I will tell you whose son you are" Now, I know you.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
dpenabill said:
A PR does NOT need to be a PR for six years. Four years plus a day is sufficient.

A PR can be eligible for citizenship four years and one day after landing, and the PR meets the physical presence requirement if the PR never left Canada during those four years and a day.

Place of residence does not count for much. PR status plus physical presence is what counts. (Recognizing that there are additional requirements of course, ranging from language and knowledge of Canada to meeting CRA filing obligations.)

For PRs with absences: best to just go to the government's website and the physical presence calculator, and plug in dates.
May be I'm mistaken, I sincerely apologize and never meant to mislead anyone.

I thought if 4 out of 6 years means One has completed 6 years. Out of which should've 1460 days physical days presence to be eligible.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Canadiandesi2006 said:

I thought if 4 out of 6 years means One has completed 6 years. Out of which should've 1460 days physical days presence to be eligible.
You qualify for citizenship 4 years after you land as PR, assuming you never left Canada. You still need to report 6 years of residency. In a case of a PR landing in Canada for example first time June 12, 2012, the PR qualifies June 13, 2016. The PR report 4 years in Canada, 2 years in native country.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Canadiandesi2006:

You can easily run the scenario through the online physical presence calculator and confirm.

And yes, it will confirm that four years plus a day after landing will meet the qualification so long as, of course, the PR did not leave Canada at all (thus was physically present for 1460 days as a PR).

Thus, as others have noted, the PR who landed August 1, 2012, and who remains in Canada without leaving, will be eligible to apply August 2, 2016. (In this scenario, this applicant will also meet the 183 days X 4CY requirement based on 183+ days presence in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016.)

Sure, the relevant time period for calculating presence is still six years, but the fact that some or almost two years of the time absent predates the date of landing does not matter.

The website describes it this way: "To qualify [the applicant] must have, since becoming a permanent resident, been physically present in Canada for at least 1460 days in the six (6) years immediately before [applying]."

Note: a person who has been present in Canada without leaving four years plus a day since becoming a PR has, in simple arithmetic, been in Canada 1460 days within the preceding six years.

By the way; regarding margin over the minimum:

While the applicant who never leaves may opt to apply with a small margin, for applicants with any significant number of absences, or any absences of significant duration, a good margin over the minimum is the prudent approach. Hard to suggest a number. A month or three seems prudent to me, longer in some circumstances.

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
dpenabill said:
Canadiandesi2006:

You can easily run the scenario through the online physical presence calculator and confirm.

And yes, it will confirm that four years plus a day after landing will meet the qualification so long as, of course, the PR did not leave Canada at all (thus was physically present for 1460 days as a PR).

Thus, as others have noted, the PR who landed August 1, 2012, and who remains in Canada without leaving, will be eligible to apply August 2, 2016. (In this scenario, this applicant will also meet the 183 days X 4CY requirement based on 183+ days presence in 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016.)

Sure, the relevant time period for calculating presence is still six years, but the fact that some or almost two years of the time absent predates the date of landing does not matter.

The website describes it this way: "To qualify [the applicant] must have, since becoming a permanent resident, been physically present in Canada for at least 1460 days in the six (6) years immediately before [applying]."

Note: a person who has been present in Canada without leaving four years plus a day since becoming a PR has, in simple arithmetic, been in Canada 1460 days within the preceding six years.

By the way; regarding margin over the minimum:

While the applicant who never leaves may opt to apply with a small margin, for applicants with any significant number of absences, or any absences of significant duration, a good margin over the minimum is the prudent approach. Hard to suggest a number. A month or three seems prudent to me, longer in some circumstances.
Thanks, point well taken. I have been an admirer of your very informative comments ;D ;D ;D

nope

Oct 3, 2015
Canadiandesi2006 said:

Well, yes! The reason that you thought this is the reason that other people are issuing warnings to be careful of your advice.

Mar 24, 2015
Dear all,
Thanks for your replies.
My wife/daughter landed on Oct 16/2010 and went back to place of origin for 2 years and then arrived in Canada in May/12. They lived in Canada until now but in between left Canada for about 3 months. Hence, our calculation indicated that they should have 4 years physical presence in Canada for 4 years in Aug/2016. We therefore decided it is time to apply for citizenship in Aug/2016.

Kindly advise if the timeline is right.

Thanks again.