+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When does the count for Permanent Residentship Residency requirement start?

anikahmed

Jul 6, 2013
Hi,

I hold PR card for Canada and have not still moved permanently to Canada. I am not sure when does the count for residency requirement start.
The CIC page says "To keep your status as a permanent resident, you must live in Canada for at least two years within a five-year period."

My question is:
When does the count for five year start?
1)Medical check up in 2011 July (someone really said count start from this day)
2)Granted immigration in 2011 October. (got notificiation by postal mail)
3)Landed in Canada on Dec 31 2011 and came back to my home country. (my PR card says "PR since Dec 31 2011")

I am assuming that it is #3 but I need a definite info, probably a link to an official site because I am planning movement to Canada based on the date and do not want to make mistake in counting the days.

I would be glad if anyone could help me.
Thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You became a PR on the day you landed in Canada. You did not become a PR before then like for example when you had your medicals or when your visa was approved because if you had not landed, your PR visa would have expired and you would never have been a PR.

It is also not just the first 5 years but a rolling 5 year period after that. Say you stay outside Canada for a full 3 years. Then you would have to come back for at least 2 years straight to make up for it. Only then could you leave for up to 3 years again but then you would have to come back for 2 again. If you are working in shorter periods than 3 and 2 years, you just have to make sure that you have spent at least 730 days in Canada in your first 5 years as a PR and after that always in the past 5 years.

You can see this on the CIC website here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5445ETOC.asp#appendixA

anikahmed

Jul 6, 2013
Thank you Leon,

You had all my queries answered. I knew about the rolling count just did not mention it to keep the question simple.
Thank you again.
Regards