+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When does my study permit expire??? HELP!!

sunny9310

Feb 26, 2016
I am so worried and confused right now. If you can help me out, it will be awesome!
So my study permit expires on July 31 and my last day of class is April 15.
I will be getting a legal "diploma documentation" on June 2nd.
So I was thinking I will be fine if I go visit my family in Korea as soon as my class gets done and come back to Canada before my study permit expires.
But recently I found out that study permit is valid just for 90 days after graduation.
When does the 90 days start to count? Is it from April 15 or June 2nd?
Because technically I cannot even apply for the PGWP without the legal documentation, can I?

Some say that I should wait until I get diploma and apply for PGWP, have file number and then leave.
But I think it will cause more problem because the file number does not show that I will be approved by government or not.

These are some options that I have come up... What would you choose if you were in this situation...? :
1. leave as soon as my class gets done and come back in the first week of June and apply for PGWP.
2. wait until I get diploma, apply for PGWP, get the file number and leave. Show my file number to the officer when I come back.
3. wait until I get diploma, apply for PGWP, get the file number and leave. Stay in Korea until I get approved. (I don't prefer this option. )
4. just stay in Canada.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

sunny9310 said:
I am so worried and confused right now. If you can help me out, it will be awesome!
So my study permit expires on July 31 and my last day of class is April 15.
I will be getting a legal "diploma documentation" on June 2nd.
So I was thinking I will be fine if I go visit my family in Korea as soon as my class gets done and come back to Canada before my study permit expires.
But recently I found out that study permit is valid just for 90 days after graduation.
When does the 90 days start to count? Is it from April 15 or June 2nd?
Because technically I cannot even apply for the PGWP without the legal documentation, can I?

Some say that I should wait until I get diploma and apply for PGWP, have file number and then leave.
But I think it will cause more problem because the file number does not show that I will be approved by government or not.

These are some options that I have come up... What would you choose if you were in this situation...? :
1. leave as soon as my class gets done and come back in the first week of June and apply for PGWP.
2. wait until I get diploma, apply for PGWP, get the file number and leave. Show my file number to the officer when I come back.
3. wait until I get diploma, apply for PGWP, get the file number and leave. Stay in Korea until I get approved. (I don't prefer this option. )
4. just stay in Canada.

1. Your 90 days time start when you receive a final transcript (not diploma/convocation).