+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When can you start calling yourself a citizen?

A

abdisarockstar

Title pretty much gives it away and it may be a dumb question lol. I have been looking to apply at a couple of federal places whose jobs are restricted to Canadian citizens. My oath is on the 14th so my question is: Can I, after the oath, apply to these jobs and where it asks "Are you a Canadian citizen?" select Yes? Or should I wait to receive my certificate of citizenship. I feel like this is a scenario where you complete your landing formalities and get your COPR and become a PR effective the same day regardless of when you receive your PR card but I could be wrong.
Thanks in advance!

Reactions: soumya2k2

Orgcom

Feb 27, 2020
Title pretty much gives it away and it may be a dumb question lol. I have been looking to apply at a couple of federal places whose jobs are restricted to Canadian citizens. My oath is on the 14th so my question is: Can I, after the oath, apply to these jobs and where it asks "Are you a Canadian citizen?" select Yes? Or should I wait to receive my certificate of citizenship. I feel like this is a scenario where you complete your landing formalities and get your COPR and become a PR effective the same day regardless of when you receive your PR card but I could be wrong.
Thanks in advance!
Immediately after the ceremony (oath if more specific). On your certificate it will be written that you became citizen on 14th.