+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When Can One Apply for Urgent Processing?

Quiches

Star Member
Nov 26, 2017
Hi All,

I am wondering:

1) Under what circumstances can one apply for urgent processing of a citizenship application?

2) Is it possible to request urgent processing after the submission of an application (AOR received)?

I am hoping to expedite my application due to a need to travel to a country where a visa would be nearly impossible to acquire (due to lack of direct diplomatic relations) for my current citizenship but is visa-free for Canadian citizens. The travel dates are late March to Early April. Although this is not a required business travel or urgent of any nature, it is affiliated with a Non-profit organization and not for leisure.

I understand this may be shaky grounds for a request for the expedition but I am hoping there is no harm in inquiring about all possibilities.

Thank you!

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Hi All,

I am wondering:

1) Under what circumstances can one apply for urgent processing of a citizenship application?

2) Is it possible to request urgent processing after the submission of an application (AOR received)?

I am hoping to expedite my application due to a need to travel to a country where a visa would be nearly impossible to acquire (due to lack of direct diplomatic relations) for my current citizenship but is visa-free for Canadian citizens. The travel dates are late March to Early April. Although this is not a required business travel or urgent of any nature, it is affiliated with a Non-profit organization and not for leisure.

I understand this may be shaky grounds for a request for the expedition but I am hoping there is no harm in inquiring about all possibilities.

Thank you!
Based on the description from CIC website, you have basically no chance of getting urgent processing ....

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hi All,

I am wondering:

Thank you!
Unless you have an Emmergency like an ailing relative whom you need to visit in the said country, your request will likely be denied.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/apply/urgently.html

Quoting from above link:

To apply for urgent processing, you must be eligible to apply for citizenship and have an emergency, such as:

• needing Canadian citizenship to:
    • apply for a job
    • avoid losing your job
    • go to a Canadian school, college or university
  • needing to travel because of death or serious illness in your family and you can’t get a passport in your current nationality
  • receiving a successful Federal Court decision on an appeal on a previous application for citizenship

Quiches

Star Member
Nov 26, 2017
Noted and thank you so much for all your help and information!

I was just researching all my possibilities around having to cancel the trip (which was an invaluable opportunity and a long application process :().
I admit I should have done more research into the visa specifics when applying but it really didn't help that the destination country is quite erratic in its visa policies and practices, and does not have an official visa website :).