+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

When can I apply for my child citizenship?

peoples_champ

Star Member
Jan 19, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I became citizen in 2014. My wife and my daughter became PR of Canada through sponsorship in May 2012.

They are currently completing residency requirements for citizenship. I have heard from someone that child under age of 16 is eligible to apply for citizenship if one of the parent is a citizen.

My question to the experts here is that can I apply for my daughter's (5 years old) citizenship or she has to complete residency requirement as well?

Thanks.

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
peoples_champ said:
Hello,

I became citizen in 2014. My wife and my daughter became PR of Canada through sponsorship in May 2012.

They are currently completing residency requirements for citizenship. I have heard from someone that child under age of 16 is eligible to apply for citizenship if one of the parent is a citizen.

My question to the experts here is that can I apply for my daughter's (5 years old) citizenship or she has to complete residency requirement as well?

Thanks.
You are a Canadian Citizen, so you can apply for your child. I'm a Canadian, my child is sponsored by me, he landed this summer and I applied back in August. Children do NOT have to meet the residency requirements if one of the parents are already citizens. It's called a non concurrent application.

peoples_champ

Star Member
Jan 19, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
saria1 said:
You are a Canadian Citizen, so you can apply for your child. I'm a Canadian, my child is sponsored by me, he landed this summer and I applied back in August. Children do NOT have to meet the residency requirements if one of the parents are already citizens. It's called a non concurrent application.
Thanks much... :) ;D

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
peoples_champ said:
Thanks much... :) ;D
I started a spreadsheet, its in my signature. If you could add your info when you apply, that would be great. There aren't many of us non concurrent applications in the board. At this point, a whole whopping 2!

Good luck!