+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What's the difference....

AlleyCatHamze

Star Member
Sep 4, 2014
Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My wife became a PR in December of 2015. Now she is 4 months pregnant and I would like to invite her mother to come visit her to stay with her during this time. I have noticed there's an application called, "Authority to release personal information to a designated individual (IMM 5475)"

My question is, what is the difference between this application and "Use of a Representative"? I am her representative and already filled up that application. Does we also need to fill up the Authority to release personal information or is the Use of a Rep good enough?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
That form is if you want to consent giving your information to someone even if they are not acting on your behalf.

A representative acts on the applicant's behalf. So the Use of Representative form is fine for you.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/release-info.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/representative.asp

AlleyCatHamze

Star Member
Sep 4, 2014
Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Applying for visitor visa online....

Thanks, Luna...
Since we are on this topic, maybe you or someone else can help me with the other mind boggling questions.

To be clear... I am trying to apply electronically.

1. Does her passport need to be a certified copy? I am hearing both yes and no answers.
2. how do I certify true copies? The stamp on them scanned is sufficient enough?
3. I know they gave the instructions on the sizes of the photos electronically. Can I get them scanned at high resolution and then I adjust the sizes? Or do I keep them at high resolution and they can adjust they can shrink them? This is probably the question that confuses me the most.
4. Another important question... Is it true that she doesn't have to sign them by hand? From what I understood, after everything is uploaded, we can just sign her name electronically assuming by typing it in when requested. If that's the case, what do we do about the "use of a representative"? Considering, I will have to sign it as a representative as well. This is contradictory to the fact she will be signing electronically
Thanks in advance. Cheers

HKG

Star Member
Apr 25, 2014
1. Does her passport need to be a certified copy? I am hearing both yes and no answers.
No certification is required. Just scan and upload. If you like you can convert it to pdf and then upload

2. how do I certify true copies? The stamp on them scanned is sufficient enough?
Certification is not required

3. I know they gave the instructions on the sizes of the photos electronically. Can I get them scanned at high resolution and then I adjust the sizes? Or do I keep them at high resolution and they can adjust they can shrink them? This is probably the question that confuses me the most.
Scanned photos do not get uploaded. Take a digital picture

4. Another important question... Is it true that she doesn't have to sign them by hand? From what I understood, after everything is uploaded, we can just sign her name electronically assuming by typing it in when requested. If that's the case, what do we do about the "use of a representative"? Considering, I will have to sign it as a representative as well. This is contradictory to the fact she will be signing electronically

If you are filling the representative form then get it signed by the applicant. Send her the form-she will take a print, sign it and scan and send it back to you.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Just one correction to what HKG has already offered:

3. If you click the (i) on the digital photo, there are specific instructions for scanned photos. You have to scan them at 600 dpi and submit at size 35x45 mm.

I submitted a scanned photo to those specifications, and it was accepted.

AlleyCatHamze

Star Member
Sep 4, 2014
Ontario
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help.
I did read the specific... now reading from you scanning at 600dpi, I remember how to do it on my scanner software.

so to sum up... please correct me if I'm wrong.

- no need to certify the passport bio page.
- she prints out "Use of Rep", signs it, scans and sends back to me, I print out and sign and upload

However, still a little confused about #2. To be more specific, when proving her income and other foreign language document, don't they have to be translated and certified with the photos of the originals? Also, don't those photocopies need to be certified considering they are scanned from the originals?

This is so weird of me to ask. I sponsored my wife a few months ago and had absolutely no problems. However, now that I'm doing it electronically, it changed the game a little :eek: