+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What's the difference between ATIP and Privacy Act

darumal

Apr 9, 2014
Hi there,

I found the required info are almost the same for ATIP and Privacy Act. The only difference is the latter service is free of charge. Correct me if I was mistaken.

What kind of the situtation should I apply ATIP and / or Privacy Act if I want to get the (officer) note in electronic record? Apart from the fees, what's the major different?

Indeed, I requested Privacy Act for the following situations but I'm unsure whether it is correct:

1. My citizenship has been transferred to Vancouver office early of January and I haven't received any news. Some applicant submitted their application around my time, was already received a citizenship test notice. I want to check if any special notes were marked in my record.

2. I can't remember the travel date to USA after I filed my citizenship applicaton, so, I requested for travel history to CBSA. Just want to make sure I can have a accurate record on hand upon request.

Your inputs and advises are highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

tormenta

Mar 3, 2014
My understanding is the following:

Privacy Act: when you request personal information
ATIP: when you request third-party data

Both of these will give you the exact same information for the purposes of your citizenship application.

Oct13

Jan 23, 2014
darumal said:
Hi there,

I found the required info are almost the same for ATIP and Privacy Act. The only difference is the latter service is free of charge. Correct me if I was mistaken.

What kind of the situtation should I apply ATIP and / or Privacy Act if I want to get the (officer) note in electronic record? Apart from the fees, what's the major different?

Indeed, I requested Privacy Act for the following situations but I'm unsure whether it is correct:

1. My citizenship has been transferred to Vancouver office early of January and I haven't received any news. Some applicant submitted their application around my time, was already received a citizenship test notice. I want to check if any special notes were marked in my record.

2. I can't remember the travel date to USA after I filed my citizenship applicaton, so, I requested for travel history to CBSA. Just want to make sure I can have a accurate record on hand upon request.

Your inputs and advises are highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

May I ask you about your timeline? Can you give us the details?

I am from Vancouver too and I applied in October.

You also may add your details to the Vancouver sheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiV2llr71HikdDV3bmtyQ0ZiWUwzOXhEX3lTRG5qdUE&usp=drive_web#gid=3

darumal

Apr 9, 2014
Oct13 said:
May I ask you about your timeline? Can you give us the details?

I am from Vancouver too and I applied in October.

You also may add your details to the Vancouver sheet:
Here is my timeline:

1.We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on April 11, 2013.

2.We sent you a letter acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on April 11, 2013. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.

3.We started processing your application on June 17, 2013.

4. transferred local office on Jan 8, 2014

I was told the applicant will be notified to attend test within 9 months upon the application was sent to local office. Again, it only applies no additional doc. are required.

The spreadsheet has been updated too. Thanks.

darumal

Apr 9, 2014
tormenta said:
My understanding is the following:

Privacy Act: when you request personal information
ATIP: when you request third-party data

Both of these will give you the exact same information for the purposes of your citizenship application.
Thanks for your prompt respond.

Just curious - what' kind of application / information will apply to third-party data?

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
there is no difference, lol. this is so funny because no one even used google

ATIP - Access to information and privacy acts
which is formed of two acts
Access to information act
Privacy act

Access to information act - Access to data under control of govt institution that should be public knowledge
Privacy act - Access to personal information from a govt institution

So one should ask for ATIP data under the Privacy act to access your own information.