+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What's the best way to show appreciation to an attorney who helped me?

kimb7462

Feb 26, 2024
Hi everyone

I worked with a lawyer to bring my mother to Canada, which took 4.5 years. Very happy to share that my mama has arrived. Now I want to acknowledge the time and effort of my attorney that she invested in our case.

What is the best way to express an appreciation for her hard work?
Shall I send her a thank you email only, or shall I get her a bouquet of flowers, a thank you card and a small gift basket and go to their law firm or only a bouquet of flowers, a thank you card? Or do nothing.
This is my first time working with an attorney and my apologies if this question sounds weird, but I want to do something nice.

Thanks

KClaire

Dec 4, 2023
All of this is reasonable. I would stay away from anything super extravagant, but flowers, food/treats, a bottle of wine if you are confident that they drink wine, etc. is a kind gesture. Some firms might have policies that contain restrictions on gifts from clients, but it's likely not a complete prohibition. You could ask her first. Lawyers definitely appreciate kind words above all else, whether in email or in a card. (Especially if they aren't a partner, because sometimes client feedback is useful to them in annual performance reviews or bonus discussions with their employer or supervising lawyer!) The only caveat I would add: unless you've developed a VERY friendly/casual relationship with them over the years - I wouldn't plan an unscheduled stop into the firm. She probably has busy and highly scheduled days, so it may to tricky or stressful to make time for an unscheduled client.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Hi everyone

I worked with a lawyer to bring my mother to Canada, which took 4.5 years. Very happy to share that my mama has arrived. Now I want to acknowledge the time and effort of my attorney that she invested in our case.

Shall I send her a thank you email only, or shall I get her a bouquet of flowers, a thank you card and a small gift basket and go to their law firm or only a bouquet of flowers, a thank you card? Or do nothing.
This is my first time working with an attorney and my apologies if this question sounds weird, but I want to do something nice.

Thanks
Generally agree with @KClaire.

I will assume the attorney worked for a fee and did not work "pro bono", i.e., for free. In that case, and assuming you paid usual attorney fees, but are now very happy with the result, there is really no expected form of "thank you". You paid her bill. Of course, it's appropriate to express thanks other than by simply paying the attorney's fees, but there should be no expectation on the part of the attorney. Really a matter of your own preference. A simple email saying that you appreciate the prolonged and successful effort would be fine. Nothing wrong with any of your other ideas, either.

Finally, a further assumption on my part is that the attorney is a Canadian attorney. I cannot say what might be the etiquette in other cultures/countries. I lived in the US for a few years and in the Philippines for a few years and interacted with attorneys in those countries. Nothing I saw in those places would lead me to conclude that the practice there differs from Canada. But that leaves a lot of the rest of the world about which I know nothing. Maybe there are places where attorneys expect an invitation to a 5-star restaurant as a show of appreciation :)

In the end, your call. No right or wrong way. The attorney will not think less of you for not sending a dozen roses.

I practised law in downtown Vancouver once upon a time. I never expected any gratuities and was happy to see my accounts paid on time. The odd time I would get some added token of appreciation. A bottle of wine or liquor once in awhile. One memorable client, of Japanese origin, would always pay my bill, before rendered, by signing and handing me a blank cheque. His cheques were always good. Every time he came to the office, he would bring me a case of canned crab.

Funny, writing this just now reminded me of another time. I was asked to represent 2 criminal clients in the small town of Bella Bella BC. I had to make two appearances and I was there for a couple of days each time. First time I flew in and out on a Grumman Mallard. The clients were fishermen. They sent me home with fish. After first trip, they told me to take overnight ferry home next time, so they could give me more than air travel would allow me to carry. They said they would arrange with the ship's purser to have some seafood placed in the ship's freezer. That time I went home with frozen and canned salmon, frozen and canned abalone, frozen oolichan and more. And that was after one of them was sent to jail! You would think I would have been persona non grata at that point!

Reactions: kimb7462

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
In the end, your call. No right or wrong way. The attorney will not think less of you for not sending a dozen roses.
apart from possibly misapprehending what's intended by a dozen roses ...

I think one simple suggestion is to ask the attorney if they'd like you to recommend them in some way or another (publicly or to some specific contacts/contexts), or possibly a letter of recommendation or thanks addressed to/cc'd to the managing partner (if working in a larger firm).

What would be most appreciated might be very different if a junior lawyer in a firm or a lawyer with a new and unestablished practice (i.e. looking actively for new clients) and appreciate some public recommendation. Some might be looking for an in or introduction to a community or professional group. Some might not want additional clients at all at present.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
apart from possibly misapprehending what's intended by a dozen roses ...

I think one simple suggestion is to ask the attorney if they'd like you to recommend them in some way or another (publicly or to some specific contacts/contexts), or possibly a letter of recommendation or thanks addressed to/cc'd to the managing partner (if working in a larger firm).

What would be most appreciated might be very different if a junior lawyer in a firm or a lawyer with a new and unestablished practice (i.e. looking actively for new clients) and appreciate some public recommendation. Some might be looking for an in or introduction to a community or professional group. Some might not want additional clients at all at present.
I maybe should have been more obvious in showing the dozen roses idea was not serious. Certainly in Canada, and some other places, such a gift seems to be strongly identified with some kind of romantic interest. Flowers might be okay, but a bouquet of roses would not be the best choice.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
This feels like a bot post.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I maybe should have been more obvious in showing the dozen roses idea was not serious. Certainly in Canada, and some other places, such a gift seems to be strongly identified with some kind of romantic interest. Flowers might be okay, but a bouquet of roses would not be the best choice.
It was clear to me, but I was half kidding and half 'irony warning' in response for the benefit of others for whom might not be clear.

I think roses are great and it's too bad that the 'roses mean romantic interest' signal is now over-coded, to the extent you can't really give roses anymore (to anyone not a paramour, that is).

If only we could go back to when roses signalled a murderous and incestuous aristrocratic house and half-baked claims to the throne.

Flyingfast

Feb 9, 2022
Hi everyone

Thanks
I'm sure you paid a hefty fee using a lawyer? Isn't that thanks enough? I think the best thank-you is word of mouth.

kimb7462

Feb 26, 2024
I'm sure you paid a hefty fee using a lawyer? Isn't that thanks enough? I think the best thank-you is word of mouth.
Yes I paid for the service but I had this question if I suppose to do something to thank my attorney or that’s not necessary.
FYI this is my first time getting help from a lawyer so I didn’t knew

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes I paid for the service but I had this question if I suppose to do something to thank my attorney or that’s not necessary.
Simple and not-costly expressions of thanks are welcome in most countries and cultures. If you want to thank them, thank them. It's not required but they can still appreciate it. And of course, you can ask them if there's a way to recommend them that they would prefer.

Flyingfast

Feb 9, 2022
It's not necessary. You paid for a service. Lawyers are known for charging the hell out of people.