+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What's it like to live in Canada?

Softdev00

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi

I didn't found any other better place to place this topic but I hope as many Canadian or in Canada living people could help me by giving honest opinion about how's it like to live in Canada? Please tell what are the bad and good sides in living in Canada?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Softdev00 said:
Hi

I didn't found any other better place to place this topic but I hope as many Canadian or in Canada living people could help me by giving honest opinion about how's it like to live in Canada? Please tell what are the bad and good sides in living in Canada?
Canada is HUGE country... The East is completely different to Quebec, which is completely different to the West. You are going to have to be a little more specific.

Softdev00

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zardoz said:
Canada is HUGE country... The East is completely different to Quebec, which is completely different to the West. You are going to have to be a little more specific.
I'm very interested in Ontario or Quebec, for example in cities like Toronto or Ottawa.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Depends where you are getting the money from. Quebec is run by short tempered uneducated racist bubblehead French retards. Ontario is descent, it all depends how much money you have. More money means more options, more options mean more choices and more choices mean more happiness. I should also caution you about fraud, happening more often than needed cause criminals can get away easily case the laws are very relaxed. So be careful with charitable organizations and people who are super nice to you

Softdev00

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
newtone said:
Depends where you are getting the money from. Quebec is run by short tempered uneducated racist bubblehead French retards. Ontario is descent, it all depends how much money you have. More money means more options, more options mean more choices and more choices mean more happiness. I should also caution you about fraud, happening more often than needed cause criminals can get away easily case the laws are very relaxed. So be careful with charitable organizations and people who are super nice to you
I hate all kind of racist people and they are not welcome to my life neither I don't want to know them. I really appreciate your opinion and thanks for warning. I'm planning to check Canada next summer because I thought to travel there for few weeks and check how things are there. Thank you for your opinion :)

jliu

Jun 14, 2013
I don't know much about Quebec so can't help you about it. But I'm in GTA and settled here earlier this year. I like the huge land and the physical beauty of Canada especially outside the cities. However I can't say I like it here overall to be honest. People aren't friendly, open or social at all to outsiders and stick to their own so although it's very diverse in GTA there isn't much interaction happening. I've got lots of adjustment problems and find it extremely difficult to get to know people and network. Job wise the economy is very stale and there's many walls so opportunities might not be accessible to you as outsider. If you're a professional, you might find your prior experience and education all marked down and not recognized at all so be prepared to start from zero again doing low skilled jobs. Rent is average but daily essentials are very expensive so be ready to bring lots of settlement funds with you.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
I have been living in Toronto since 2010. Overall I like the city, it is clean and I don't feel discriminated because of my accent and my looks (I am Asian). Life is expensive for goods and services compared to the US. As for groceries it is comparable to a major US city such as NYC, DC, Boston. As for the rents, Toronto is reasonable compared to Boston, NYC, DC. Public transport is good with the exception of subway. Car insurance is too expensive.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
Job market is small. It is possible to find a service type of job. As for professional jobs, it is very challenging because of licensing requirements etc..

Softdev00

Star Member
Sep 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doesn't sound best place to live even though it is advertised to be. I'm going to travel hopefully next year to Canada for few weeks and see how stuff are there, if it is not going to satisfy myself then I think maybe heading to Australia :)

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
For professional jobs, US is the best place for immigrants who know English well and know the business culture. I don't know about Australia. I have lived/worked both in Canada and the US and US has more opportunities in terms of work.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can always use Canada as a door mat to enter USA. You may have to struggle at first until you get you citizenship and then move to US. Short term pain for long term gain

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
I will just point out few things that have been missed.

(1) The weather! Generally speaking, it's one of the worst. It can go down to -25C (less or more) in winter and stays at +30C in summer. In a single day, temperature can vary up to 20 degrees. So, if you are not familiar with such extreme weather, it can be a shock!

(2) People talk about racism in Canada, but to me, it prevails within all race/colour. When I lived in my home country Bangladesh, it's 99% local people, so there wasn't any chance to be racist :(. But in Canada, it's full of immigrants resulting in hatred/empathy for each other to minimum/some extent.

(3) How happy you can be depends on what stage you start living in Canada. If you do high school and/or undergrad here; life will almost offer you same as a Canadian gets. But things are different for an immigrant who finished education and worked outside Canada (reasons are already given in earlier posts).

(4) Among US, Canada & Australia, I would put US first for education/job opportunities/income/growth. For peace of mind for a lifetime, Canada would be first. I would place Australia just at the bottom of Canada. FYI, I've been in all these countries.

Line.a

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2010
Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-13
AOR Received.
27-02-13
Med's Request
08-02-14
Med's Done....
15-03-14
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
OWP: 25-02-14
LANDED..........
23-07-14
Absolutely amazing, cold in winters, hot in summers and the nature is very nice, so are the people!

AAL1984

Nov 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville Alberta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-08-2011
LANDED..........
Nov 2012
Do yourself a favor, visit Canada first before you decide to permanently move here. As other posts have pointed out the perception of Canada is very different from reality. Cost of living, job opportunities, weather... really come see these things for yourself before moving.

I can't tell you if you will like it or not, we are all unique but please do come and check it out first.