+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What would be the best avenue to apply for PR?

ultrablue

Mar 18, 2017
Hello! I'm new here so I apologize if there's been a similar post recently (or if there has, send it my way please!)

I'm not sure if there's more than one way for me to apply for PR at this point. I am a US citizen, came to QC in fall 2014 to do my Masters at Concordia. I graduated and am living/working here with a post-grad work permit, and now I'm trying to figure out how to apply for PR. When I took the questionnaire on the CIC website, I said that I wanted to move to Canada to work, although it said that I was not eligible for express entry. What does that mean? Additionally, my husband is a Canadian citizen so I also have the option of applying for PR through spouse sponsorship. Which would be the best way to apply for PR? Sponsorship or saying that I want to move here permanently to work? Apologies, hope I haven't made this too confusing. Thank you in advance!

Sneakydriver

Star Member
Dec 9, 2016
ultrablue said:
Hello! I'm new here so I apologize if there's been a similar post recently (or if there has, send it my way please!)

I'm not sure if there's more than one way for me to apply for PR at this point. I am a US citizen, came to QC in fall 2014 to do my Masters at Concordia. I graduated and am living/working here with a post-grad work permit, and now I'm trying to figure out how to apply for PR. When I took the questionnaire on the CIC website, I said that I wanted to move to Canada to work, although it said that I was not eligible for express entry. What does that mean? Additionally, my husband is a Canadian citizen so I also have the option of applying for PR through spouse sponsorship. Which would be the best way to apply for PR? Sponsorship or saying that I want to move here permanently to work? Apologies, hope I haven't made this too confusing. Thank you in advance!
Why did you choose Concordia and not Mcgill? haha you don't have to answer that, I'm just kidding. My wife goes to Mcgill and I know they have this huge rivalry between each other.

It's hard to believe you are not eligible for express entry since you have a masters from a Canadian institution and work experience in Canada. But even if you were, the fastest way you can get PR is having your husband sponsor you. Forget about express entry or mon projet quebec, you are probably eligible for both but outlands applications for US citizens are currently taking 3-4 months and inland applications about 12 months. Now, if you don't want to lose your job, you should apply inland. If you don't care about taking a break, then you can apply outland.

You can apply inland and attach a work permit application. This work permit would come 4 months after they receive your application.

Now I'm not sure if you can keep the work permit you already have if you apply OUTLAND (probably not)

So basically:
Outland 3-4 months (can't work or study in Canada, can travel between Canada and Usa, know someone from the forum who applied in January 4 and got his PR last week)
inland(12 months, can work in Canada, recommended not to leave Canada for that period)

I believe it's kind of unfair that US citizens are able to get PR so quickly while for other countries applications could take years but oh well, this is a good thing for you ;).

ultrablue

Mar 18, 2017
Haha, as someone from the States I couldn't care less about the Concordia/McGill rivalry! :p

Anyway, thanks so much for your help. I did learn that I'm not eligible for express entry because I haven't worked for 12 consecutive months, so I'm working on getting started with the spouse sponsorship. It does suck that it takes less time when applying outland, but oh well. I work here in Quebec so moving back home for 3-4 months isn't an option, so I'll just have to deal with the longer wait.

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
Why did you choose Concordia and not Mcgill? haha you don't have to answer that, I'm just kidding. My wife goes to Mcgill and I know they have this huge rivalry between each other.

It's hard to believe you are not eligible for express entry since you have a masters from a Canadian institution and work experience in Canada. But even if you were, the fastest way you can get PR is having your husband sponsor you. Forget about express entry or mon projet quebec, you are probably eligible for both but outlands applications for US citizens are currently taking 3-4 months and inland applications about 12 months. Now, if you don't want to lose your job, you should apply inland. If you don't care about taking a break, then you can apply outland.

You can apply inland and attach a work permit application. This work permit would come 4 months after they receive your application.

Now I'm not sure if you can keep the work permit you already have if you apply OUTLAND (probably not)

So basically:
Outland 3-4 months (can't work or study in Canada, can travel between Canada and Usa, know someone from the forum who applied in January 4 and got his PR last week)
inland(12 months, can work in Canada, recommended not to leave Canada for that period)

I believe it's kind of unfair that US citizens are able to get PR so quickly while for other countries applications could take years but oh well, this is a good thing for you ;).
Not true, I'll be at 2 years in Aug., and I'm haven't gotten PR yet. I'm a US citizen, we don't get any favors from the Canadian government over any other country (unless coming over under NAFTA)

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
Haha, as someone from the States I couldn't care less about the Concordia/McGill rivalry! :p

Anyway, thanks so much for your help. I did learn that I'm not eligible for express entry because I haven't worked for 12 consecutive months, so I'm working on getting started with the spouse sponsorship. It does suck that it takes less time when applying outland, but oh well. I work here in Quebec so moving back home for 3-4 months isn't an option, so I'll just have to deal with the longer wait.
@Ultablue, what level French do you have? Any advice on the local job market?

ultrablue

Mar 18, 2017
@Ultablue, what level French do you have? Any advice on the local job market?
My French is okay; I took French all throughout high school and college but lost a lot of it after I graduated. Immersion is making up for it though. If you want the job market to open its doors to you, being bilingual or at least being very, very good in French will do the trick. In my field (education) and around where I live (near Montreal), the fact that I speak English is very much sought after as parents want their children to learn English. Not sure what it's like in other professions, but I would imagine English would help if you're looking to work for an international company or something like that.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

When does your PGWP expire? Outland is generally a much better option for Americans, taking around 4 months. There is absolutely no need for you to leave Canada to apply outland.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Not true, I'll be at 2 years in Aug., and I'm haven't gotten PR yet. I'm a US citizen, we don't get any favors from the Canadian government over any other country (unless coming over under NAFTA)
It's very true. Outland Family Class applicants from the US are processed much faster than pretty much every other country. You are an economic applicant, which is a completely different situation.

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
It's very true. Outland Family Class applicants from the US are processed much faster than pretty much every other country. You are an economic applicant, which is a completely different situation.

I thought you were talking FSW Outland, I don't know much about family class.

ultrablue

Mar 18, 2017
When does your PGWP expire? Outland is generally a much better option for Americans, taking around 4 months. There is absolutely no need for you to leave Canada to apply outland.
Mine expires June 2019. I did just realize I can apply outland even if I'm living here in Canada, which is the option I'm going to choose. I know I'll be leaving Canada to visit family in the states while waiting for my PR, so this would be the best way to go I think. Thank you!

Sneakydriver

Star Member
Dec 9, 2016
Inland processing times changed. If you applied after Dec 7, processing times are 12 months now. US citizens doing outland get PR in 3-4 months usually. I saw someone here in the forums, US citizen getting DM in about 50 days. Looking at the spreadsheets you can see that US citizens get PPR quicker than most because they are processed though Ottawa which is one of the fastest Vo's (if not the fastest).

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
Inland processing times changed. If you applied after Dec 7, processing times are 12 months now. US citizens doing outland get PR in 3-4 months usually. I saw someone here in the forums, US citizen getting DM in about 50 days. Looking at the spreadsheets you can see that US citizens get PPR quicker than most because they are processed though Ottawa which is one of the fastest Vo's (if not the fastest).

See above, I thought the poster was talking about FSW Outland... two different subjects types of visa. If you're talking about the spreadsheets for FSW-O, those do not take into account those currently waiting past the thresholds being shown. As such, those PPR estimates are no longer accurate.