+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What will happen, if my PGWP expires before SINP approval comes?

navi17

Star Member
Jun 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2011
mss#687 said:
You can still apply if you have the file number for SINP .Make sure you do paper application. By the time CIC(~3months) gets to your application,if you get the support letter for Work Permit,you will be fine.
Thanks so much for making it more clear. I have the file number so I am planning to apply just few days before my PGWP expires(I hope my SINP comes earlier but just in case it doesnt).
If I quote my file number in the CIC application, will the CIC ask me for the SINP letter when they start processing it? or it will be refused right away? If they refuse because I didnt attach the SINP approval letter, do i have to reapply for work permit then?

navi17

Star Member
Jun 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2011
peachie said:
I found out too that when the PGWP expires, and you apply to get it extended, you will get implied status which allows you to continue working. But when the refusal comes from CIC Vegreville ( work permit extension for PGWP will definitely be refused), you will be out of status, then you have to reapply to restore your status. During this time you can not work while the restoration is being processed. Maybe research more on this, that's all I know.

Yes, if the nomination does come, then you are safe. I spoke to one of the Managers before May 1st changes, and they changed their way of thinking as far as nominating someone earlier just because the work permit is expiring. They didn't seem to care anymore because he said it is the student's responsibility to have legal status and to not put the obligation on SINP to give them their nomination. Now we know what transpired after that, they closed applications for out of town students and have allocated the certificates to SK students only; although students who have gotten a file number before May 1st are included in the inventory.

Students like me and others that have arrived in SK early to do the work experience time and got settled here lost our early nomination to students who have arrived much, much later in SK and whose permits are expiring earlier than ours. Not to blame anyone, it seems SINP now have better efficiency and control of the situation.
Thanks Peachie. I will explore the restoration process more. So basically, If I apply for PGWP extension and in the meantime I get the SINP approval then I dont have to apply for restoration?

mss#687

Star Member
Oct 9, 2010
navi17 said:
Thanks so much for making it more clear. I have the file number so I am planning to apply just few days before my PGWP expires(I hope my SINP comes earlier but just in case it doesnt).

<b>make sure it reaches CIC before your WP expires.</b>

If I quote my file number in the CIC application, will the CIC ask me for the SINP letter when they start processing it?

<b>attach a copy of the letter you received from SINP that shows the application number.When you receive the SINP certificate and support letter send it to CIC</b>

or it will be refused right away? If they refuse because I didnt attach the SINP approval letter, do i have to reapply for work permit then?

verma18

Jul 6, 2013
Hi Nav,
I m also suffering from same problem, if you find any solution please let me know dear.
Thanks,
Mamta

navi17

Star Member
Jun 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2011
Thanks so much for the useful information. I will keep that in mind.

navi17

Star Member
Jun 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2011
verma18 said:
Hi Nav,
I m also suffering from same problem, if you find any solution please let me know dear.
Thanks,
Mamta
Yes no problem i will keep you posted. I still havent received any information from SINP so I am going to apply for the PGWP extension at vergeville office. I hope to get the sinp nomination before they ask for this. will let you know how it goes.

Thanks,
Nav

navi17

Star Member
Jun 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2011
mss#687 said:

make sure it reaches CIC before your WP expires.

If I quote my file number in the CIC application, will the CIC ask me for the SINP letter when they start processing it?

attach a copy of the letter you received from SINP that shows the application number.When you receive the SINP certificate and support letter send it to CIC

or it will be refused right away? If they refuse because I didnt attach the SINP approval letter, do i have to reapply for work permit then?
Hi mss, many thanks for your help on this. I was able to get the work permit by following your suggestions. Much appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
Nav

navi17

Star Member
Jun 11, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-09-2011
peachie said:
Hi Nav,

Somebody I know has also just applied in May, he took his files and went to Regina to submit his application and got a file number on the spot. SINP knew that his work permit is expiring (it's expired now)and advised him to apply for work permit extension on the premise that CIC will reject his application. PGWP is a one time deal only which is why CIC will refuse the application. Now, the decision might take 2 months before the rejection comes, so you will have implied status meaning you can still work. Meantime, you can keep on calling or writing to SINP about your status.

The other option is to ask your employer to apply for a LMO so that you can get a closed work permit. You cannot go home, but it is your responsibility to have legal status in Canada while you wait for SINP decision. If SINP do not give you a decision, after the work permit extension application, you should apply then to be a tourist. I am not sure about this one. Can someone please respond.
Thanks so much Peachie for helping me out. You and mss have been really helpful. I got my work permit and I am glad that i didnt have to go to restoration process. this forum really needs experts like you and mss, who know what they are saying :D...

Thanks,
Nav