+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what type of work permit

finalhope

Jul 17, 2013
Hi All
Got refused open work permit for me and wife and two kids last week.I had applied (London) six weeks after employer had applied in alberta(end May) which is still in progress(I didnt know i should have lmo first).My trade is noc 7272 . Reason given--

You have not demonstrated that you come within the exceptions under section 186 of the regulations
exempting you from the requirement to obtain a work permit or that your employment in Canada comes
within the exceptions to section 203 of the regulations. As a result, your offer of employment must be the
subject of an economic effect determination before a work permit can be issued to you. Your employer in
Canada should contact the local office of the Department of Human Resources and Skills Development
Canada to begin this process.

Question before appling again if lmo is given
1- What type of work permit suit my position -- owp or other
2- can i go self employed soon after if employer is happy and suits both of us or does it change visa type.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
finalhope said:
Question before appling again if lmo is given
1- What type of work permit suit my position -- owp or other
2- can i go self employed soon after if employer is happy and suits both of us or does it change visa type.
It's not at all surprising that your work permit was refused. To answer your questions:

1. You must apply for a closed work permit. Your employer must obtain an approved LMO before you apply for the closed work permit. You don't qualify for an open work permit.
2. No - you can't. Having a closed work permit means that you are only allowed to work as an employee for the employer listed on your work permit.