+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"What type of work permit are you applying for?" - confused about the answer

elcyuel

May 7, 2015
Hi all,

I have an important enquiry regarding the visa type required for temporary work (duration: 3 months) in Canada. I am a Croatian citizen currently enrolled in a doctoral school in France, where I will soon obtain my PhD. As a part of my PhD, a student exchange/internship has been arranged with the University of Toronto in Canada, lasting from 25.8.2015. until 25.11.2015 (I have a written offer letter from them). I am financed partly by my home University in France, and partly from personal sources, and will receive no funding from any entity in Canada.

I have been informed by the secretary of my future laboratory in Toronto that I will need to apply for work permit, since I will be conducting research in their lab, with their staff and resources. However, she was unsure of which type of work visa will I need, as this depends on my appointment offer, and told me to contact the local embassy/Canada immigration in order to obtain such information, so I can start the application process as soon as possible. I did that, but the answer depends on the agent who I am speaking to.. essentially, in the form IMM1295E, question 1 under "details of intended work in canada" gives several options, and I don't know which to choose

The options are:

• Exemption from Labour Market Impact Assessment
  • International Experience Canada (International Co-op)
  • International Experience Canada (Other)
  • International Experience Canada (Working Holiday)
  • International Experience Canada (Young Professionals Program
  • Labour Market Impact Assessment Stream
  • Live-in Caregiver Program
  • Open Work Permit
  • Other
  • Seasonal Agricultural Workers Program

So, one agent told me it should be the international co-op program, but when I go to the CIC website section for IEC (cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/) and select my country where I am a citizen (Croatia), the following message is displayed:

As of March 3, 2015, at 08:28 Eastern Standard Time (14:28 Zagreb time), the International Co-op (Internship) category is closed to Croatian citizens.
So I can't use this one. :/

And on the CIC website, there is also a category called "Foreign Worker - International Mobility Program (No Visitor's Visa required)" for which I am eligible for, but the document to apply for it is the same and I can't choose this category in IMM1295. However, the supporting document needed is "IMM5802 Offer of Employment to a Foreign National LMIA-Exempt", which then means that in the list I should select the "Exemption from Labour Market Impact Assessment"? Is this correct?

So I hope that you can help me with this, because I kinda got lost with the application process (which is not easy with doing a phd in the same time, lol :/)

Since my contract is starting on 25.8., it means that I need to apply for the visa urgently, in order to be able to both get and deliver the documents in time. Do you think that I'll have enough time for my application to be processed by 25.8., if I submit everything next week?

Thanks in advance!