+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What to do with medical exams expiring

Workaholic2020

Mar 12, 2020
Hi CanadaVisa, here is a question about medical exam - it is expiring in December and my EE (outland) application hasn't been changed since Biometrics completed in July.

Question: what should I do as the medical exam expiry date approaches? Should I take the exam again? Will it cause further delays in the processing?

Thank you very much

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
Hi CanadaVisa, here is a question about medical exam - it is expiring in December and my EE (outland) application hasn't been changed since Biometrics completed in July.

Question: what should I do as the medical exam expiry date approaches? Should I take the exam again? Will it cause further delays in the processing?

Thank you very much
Don't do anything. Just wait for IRCC to send you further instructions. No need to re-take medicals unless asked for by IRCC.

Workaholic2020

Mar 12, 2020
Don't do anything. Just wait for IRCC to send you further instructions. No need to re-take medicals unless asked for by IRCC.
Thank you for replying! May I ask where this strategy comes from? I asked my lawyer and he says it's better to retake the medical exam and send the results. I am a bit confused...

Last edited:

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
Thank you for replying! May I ask where this strategy comes from? I asked my lawyer and he says it's better to retake the medical exam and send the results. I am a bit confused...
Re-taking medicals is not recommended unless IRCC asks for it. If you take medical again, it will be valid for 1 year and if your application is approved in between, say after 6 months, then you will have only 6 months to complete the landing. Due to current pandemic, the application processing time has increased and many people are facing the same issue as you are. Once your application is near the approval stage, IRCC will contact you regarding your medical (if expired, they may extend it or ask for a new medical). So it's better to wait for their message first. I hope this helps!

Workaholic2020

Mar 12, 2020
Re-taking medicals is not recommended unless IRCC asks for it. If you take medical again, it will be valid for 1 year and if your application is approved in between, say after 6 months, then you will have only 6 months to complete the landing. Due to current pandemic, the application processing time has increased and many people are facing the same issue as you are. Once your application is near the approval stage, IRCC will contact you regarding your medical (if expired, they may extend it or ask for a new medical). So it's better to wait for their message first. I hope this helps!
Thank you so much for replying and explaining the issue. My main concern is that, as you have mentioned, there is a chance that IRCC may ask me to retake the medical exam when they wrap up the application. However, it is highly likely that the entire US will be locked down again sometime in the near future. I fear the possibility that IRCC may ask me to take the medical exam again, but by then hospitals that can take it might all be shut down for a few months. In that case, I will have to wait for a rather long time until I can take the medical exam and land Canada.

As for the deadline issue you have mentioned - if IRCC extended my medical exam, what should be the deadline then?

Thanks again for your help!

Reactions: nns14