07-09-2017
Med's Request
07-03-2017
Med's Done....
15-03-2017
Passport Req..
06-11-2017
Hi,

My oath was scheduled for mid December. The problem is that I am currently in USA under J1 Visa (working job here) for another 1-2 years and am working here so cannot stay in Canada for Oath, Citizenship certificate and then passport.

I am thinking to do this: Travel to Canada before Oath day and attend the virtual ceremony and destroy the PR card. Then travel back to USA. Wait for certificate to be mailed to my Canadian address on file and have it mailed to me here in USA by my relative. Then apply for Canadian passport using citizenship certificate here in USA.

- Is there anything wrong with this approach? Is this the best approach in my situation?
- Rather than virtual, if I request in-person ceremony how much delay would there be for them to arrange it? Asking if anyone has done this so I can get certificate right after oath ceremony to bring to USA with me.

smash1984

Champion Member
Oct 7, 2018
Hi,

My oath was scheduled for mid December. The problem is that I am currently in USA under J1 Visa (working job here) for another 1-2 years and am working here so cannot stay in Canada for Oath, Citizenship certificate and then passport.

I am thinking to do this: Travel to Canada before Oath day and attend the virtual ceremony and destroy the PR card. Then travel back to USA. Wait for certificate to be mailed to my Canadian address on file and have it mailed to me here in USA by my relative. Then apply for Canadian passport using citizenship certificate here in USA.

- Is there anything wrong with this approach? Is this the best approach in my situation?
- Rather than virtual, if I request in-person ceremony how much delay would there be for them to arrange it? Asking if anyone has done this so I can get certificate right after oath ceremony to bring to USA with me.
I think your plan is fine.

I am not sure if having in person ceremony will expedite your citizenship certificate

Reactions: dranzer19

A_S

Star Member
Apr 29, 2014
Hi,

Agree with smash1984 !
There is a little gamble with requesting for in-person as we move closer towards holidays and without knowing the current queue for in person Oath at Ottawa. Let us assume they accept your request and you get an invite soon, you will receive the certificate on the day of the ceremony. Cheers !!

Reactions: dranzer19

dranzer19

Star Member
Oct 5, 2016
Canada
App. Filed.......
15-02-2017
Doc's Request.
09-03-2017
AOR Received.
01-03-2017
File Transfer...
07-09-2017
Med's Request
07-03-2017
Med's Done....
15-03-2017
Passport Req..
06-11-2017
@smash1984 With in-person ceremony, they give you the certificate at the end of it. But yes, I am not sure how long they will take to schedule an in-person ceremony.

@A_S Yeah I hadn't considered the holidays possibly delaying it. I guess I will go ahead and stick to my plan as it seems the fastest and most feasible.

Thank you both for your input!

Reactions: A_S and smash1984