+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What to do AFTER getting TRV results? (Visa Stamp Procedure)

dianfyr

Aug 15, 2014
  • Here's my situation:
    • working in China
    • applied Visitor Visa online
    • waiting for results
    • plane ticket is due on August 20th

Inquiry:
    • If the request was approved, how long or how many days should I allot before getting the Canadian Visa on the passport?
    • Is it possible to walk-in at the nearest Canadian Embassy (Shanghai) instead of having the passport mailed in?

I am asking these because I no longer have enough time to spare. I did apply long before my departure date. Unfortunately, since we have no other source of information other than the CIC website, we overlooked some documents which led to the denial of my previous attempts. Before, it only took them 1 week to release the results of my application. Those were denied, of course. This time, it's taking them longer to review and verify my documents. I believe it could be because I now have a complete and more comprehensive presentation of my uploaded documents. It was a trial and error procedure for us before. We finally learned our lesson now.

We just want to know our best course of action in relation to my ticket; whether to cancel or simply wait for the results. I tried calling all the Canadian visa inquiry contact numbers that I found on the internet, unfortunately, I wasn't able get the answer that I needed.

I would really appreciate it if I would hear from any of you sooner than later.

Thank you for your time.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

IMHO, I 'd advise you better adjust (cancel/rebook your tickets) your departure dates - it is now on the weekend, and with no response yet on further instructions, you will only have a few days to send in your passports and get your visas, and/or comply to any other requests (if needed).

.../atb

dianfyr

Aug 15, 2014
ragluf said:
Hi,

IMHO, I 'd advise you better adjust (cancel/rebook your tickets) your departure dates - it is now on the weekend, and with no response yet on further instructions, you will only have a few days to send in your passports and get your visas, and/or comply to any other requests (if needed).

.../atb

Thank you, Ragluf for your feedback. We're thinking the same thing. :)

We just want to know the common procedure and timeframe for visa stamping so we could figure out the best timing to cancel/rebook. We decided to cancel the ticket on the 17th in case we do not get further information about this.

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dianfyr said:
Thank you, Ragluf for your feedback. We're thinking the same thing. :)

We just want to know the common procedure and timeframe for visa stamping so we could figure out the best timing to cancel/rebook. We decided to cancel the ticket on the 17th in case we do not get further information about this.
The assumption made here is that online applications will still be processed by the Visa Office serving your location; in this case Shanghai. The processing times for this office may guide your expectations, but note this is not entirely accurate; it has been observed that for CIC, those processing times are more of a target, not an exact promise :(.

Now add on the following: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=068&t=3 - so you will get an estimate at least to help you plan the time to wait further. As it stands now, you are waiting for the instructions on how to proceed next (i.e. where to send the passports etc.).

.../hth

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dianfyr said:
Hey Ragluf! :)

I've read this before, but it just didn't seem applicable to online applications.
Again the assumption is "online applications will still be processed by the Visa Office serving your location"
As this is an online application you did not send in your passports right (uploaded only scanned copies)? You are waiting to be informed what to do next.

In the absence of any timelines from CIC that shows/includes the time it takes from sending in your passports for stamping, the assumption made is add in the time in that link - this includes now the round-trip time from mailing in the passport and the return. All of us want the best case scenario, but CIC does not have information specific to these, this is why assumptions have to be made to guide us in establishing the amount of time applicants are comfortable enough to get plans in for travelling. It is not ideal and far from it, but you can only do so much with the information CIC provides.

Of course, one can assume you can go to the visa office in Shanghai and have the visa's stamped as soon as one are advised to send in the passports , but there is no clear information as far as I have seen that indicated you can actually do that in that VO. :)

.../atb

dianfyr

Aug 15, 2014
yup..u got that right.

I did search everywhere on the web whether I could actually walk-in. I posted here as a last resort. I saw how active this website is, and I thought maybe somebody who might have tried it Shanghai would respond to this thread.

It just never occurred to us that having a vacation would be too much of a hassle. ???
We'll probably just stick to our initial plan if we won't get further information about this.

Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate it :)