+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What time you can claim while you are outside canada

Question123

Apr 15, 2018
Hello
Im a PR . 50% shareholder in corporation in canada.. i stayed outside of canada for more then a year in order to look at production tht was then being imported in canada and sold there. Will my time outside be counted in

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
That would depend a great deal upon the the business.

Most PR's will find that creating a company inside of Canada in hopes that it will count as 'work related' for time spent outside of Canada are shocked when that is not true. There are multiple boxes that need to be checked off for it to be a valid Canadian company and for an employee to qualify for the exemption of time spent outside of Canada.

You really need to look up the details, but a quick cursory determination says your particular 'business' is not going to qualify for the exemption. Be sure that you can still fulfill your RO until you are absolutely sure.

Question123

Apr 15, 2018
That would depend a great deal upon the the business.
Most PR's will find that creating a company inside of Canada in hopes that it will count as 'work related' for time spent outside of Canada are shocked when that is not true. There are multiple boxes that need to be checked off for it to be a valid Canadian company and for an employee to qualify for the exemption of time spent outside of Canada.

You really need to look up the details, but a quick cursory determination says your particular 'business' is not going to qualify for the exemption. Be sure that you can still fulfill your RO until you are absolutely sure.

How can i find out?

Question123

Apr 15, 2018
Well its leather garment business.. my partner sees the sales and i see tge production.. we basically take orders from canadian buyers and manufacture them abroad.. in order to control quality i have to stay outside of canad.. where to find help... if i can count that time then im eligible to apply if not then have to wait another year year and a half

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I am no expert but given you are a part owner of the business not an employee then taking the rules literally you probably would not be able to claim the time outside Canada strictly under the employee assigned/contracted temporarily abroad rule. It is your personal choice to operate outside Canada as a part business owner not an employee even though technically you are employer/employee of your company.

Ultimately all anyone here can do is speculate on how the rules might apply so upto an individual how they interpret the rules and whether they take the chance any specific guideline works for them given being a PR assumes someone is committing to spend most of their time resident in Canada,

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5445-applying-permanent-resident-card-card-first-application-replacement-renewal-change-sex-designation.html#appendixA