+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What steps do I need to take to move to Canada

Lolagarcia

Mar 12, 2014
My fiancé is a Canadian Citizen who currently resides in the providence of Quebec and I am a United States Citizen. He and I plan on getting married in the near future and obviously want to be able to reside in the same residence as soon as possible. I would also like to seek employment as soon as possible after moving to Canada. With that said it has been somewhat of a challenge looking at the CIC.gc.ca and the Newyork.gc.ca websites to determine what route we need to pursue. I believe that due to our circumstances we would need to file for a Sponsorship of a Spouse Visa. My questions are as follows:
1. When you file for the Sponsorship visa are you filling for Permanent Residence?
2. What forms does he need to complete and submit in Canada?
3. What forms do I need to complete and submit in the United States?
4. Will he file for the Sponsorship Visa in Canada or will I file through the New York Canadian Embassy or both?
5. What forms by order do we need to complete and submit?
6. After filling/submitting all required paperwork for the sponsorship what is the time frame in which it will be approved for Permanent residence so that I can move to Canada?
7. What paperwork if any can I file at the same time as the sponsorship to obtain a work permit/employment?
8. If there is no work permit paperwork that I can complete concurrently with the sponsorship application how long after my permanent residence is approved and I move to Canada do I have to wait to obtain a valid work permit?
9. After my Permanent residence is approved can I return to the US for work until I am able to obtain a work permit in Canada if I am unable to obtain a work permit concurrently with the sponsorship visa? (This would mean that he and I would be seeing each other every other month as we have been doing presently)
10. What type of work permit would I file for? (I have a Bachelors of Science and have been working for the state of TN Department of Children’s Services for almost going on 7 years)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. Yes
2. You'll need to decide if you are applying inland (from within Canada) or outland (from outside of Canada). Forms for both are available here:
3. Everything is sent as one application - so see answer above.
4. Mississauga
5. See #2
6. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp
7. If you apply inland, you will qualify to apply for a work permit at around the 6 month mark after you submit the sponsorship application. If you apply outland, you will not qualify for a work permit as part of the sponsorship process.
8. You can work immediately once you have been approved for PR and arrive in Canada.
9. This question doesn't make sense. Once you are approved for PR, then you will be able to come to Canada and work immediately.
10. Not sure which work permit you're asking about. If you are asking about the work permit you can apply for at the 6 month mark with the inland sponsorship process - then you would be applying for an open work permit. Your educational background / experience is irrelevant.

I would recommend you read through the posts in the Family Sponsorship section of this forum and post any remaining questions there.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Read the first post here for an overview:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html