+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What Should Spouse Say at Airport Customs

ZMoodie

Jan 13, 2021
Hello,

My wife is from the U.S. and has been living with me here in Canada since October. We recently applied for her permanent residency under Inland Family Sponsorship. She is heading back for a week to visit her family, but we are wondering what she should tell Airport customs. When she comes back should she say she is coming to visit, or that she was visiting her family and is currently living with her husband in Canada and returning back to him. We just don't want her to be turned away by a Customs Agent having a bad day.

Thank you!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

My wife is from the U.S. and has been living with me here in Canada since October. We recently applied for her permanent residency under Inland Family Sponsorship. She is heading back for a week to visit her family, but we are wondering what she should tell Airport customs. When she comes back should she say she is coming to visit, or that she was visiting her family and is currently living with her husband in Canada and returning back to him. We just don't want her to be turned away by a Customs Agent having a bad day.

Thank you!
You mean US TSA?

KBald

Dec 6, 2020
Is she in Canada on a visitor visa? She is a US citizen, which means she is low risk of trying to stay illegally. They probably won't be too concerned if she says she is coming to visit you. Just answer honestly anything they ask, but no need to give any more details than that.

MJSPARV

Sep 17, 2020
Unless she has a visa (work, study etc) that gives her the right to live in Canada she should NOT say she lives with you because she isn't allowed to live in Canada. She should absolutely say she is visiting you if she's been in Canada as a visitor.

However, you said she's been with you since October. By my count that's more than the six months US citizens automatically get as a visitor. Assuming she's here as a visitor... Did she get a visitor status extension or did she overstay her last visitor status? If she overstayed, she is in real danger of being denied entry upon return, and even if she doesn't leave Canada if the inland application is sent back for any reason (not sure if you've gotten AOR yet) I'm pretty sure she'd be out of status entirely/"implied status" would no longer apply. I'm not as familiar with inland because we did outland, but I'm also pretty sure that if she leaves and is denied reentry her inland application can't be completed. If she hasn't left the country yet AND she's overstayed her current status you should very carefully consider the potential implications of her leaving Canada.ans look at restoring her status and applying for an extension.

Last edited: